Conclusion - Business = YES, Multimedia = NO
The VIA C3 at 1.0GHz is definitely a step towards VIA's goals for a CPU; cheap, reliable and quiet. The VIA C3 is ultimately the quietest PC system available. Requiring no fan but just a passive heatsink and very little power, you can have a single or no fan system. During out testing, we took a 250w Aopen PSU and removed the fan from the unit. We then placed the CPU, HDD and DVD into the system along with the memory. This system stayed stable the throughout the entire test with very little heat being generated at all from the PSU or the internal system.
The VIA C3 also has built-in thermal management should you overclock the CPU, and overclockable it is. While the board we had gave us no voltage controls, we were still able to get 1.23GHz out of the CPU; fully stable with a 200RPM fan placed on the CPU cooler and 1.1GHz with passive cooling. To make things even better, at default speeds and voltages you can even run the system without a heatsink for several hours, even when playing games. As VIA demonstrated in a rather unique video, we are happy to confirm this test as a full success.
On the end of this long note, VIA has come quite a way in achievement but still has a long way to go. With Intel releasing the Celeron on P4 cores and AMD pushing the Duron to 1.4GHz, VIA is definitely fighting an uphill battle.
Runs even without heatsink
Overclocks quite well
Rather slow, even for value CPU
Not suitable for games
Rating - 8/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE release new Gemini Lake based J/N motherboards
- God of War director confirms no season pass for the release
- Trailer for Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition released
- COLORFUL's new CGU 2018 eSports event might include PUBG
- Cygames shows off Granblue Fantasy's combat in all its glory
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Z270 Extreme 4 post issue
- NVIDIA's next-gen TITAN X should rock 16GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series