Conclusion - Business = YES, Multimedia = NO
The VIA C3 at 1.0GHz is definitely a step towards VIA's goals for a CPU; cheap, reliable and quiet. The VIA C3 is ultimately the quietest PC system available. Requiring no fan but just a passive heatsink and very little power, you can have a single or no fan system. During out testing, we took a 250w Aopen PSU and removed the fan from the unit. We then placed the CPU, HDD and DVD into the system along with the memory. This system stayed stable the throughout the entire test with very little heat being generated at all from the PSU or the internal system.
The VIA C3 also has built-in thermal management should you overclock the CPU, and overclockable it is. While the board we had gave us no voltage controls, we were still able to get 1.23GHz out of the CPU; fully stable with a 200RPM fan placed on the CPU cooler and 1.1GHz with passive cooling. To make things even better, at default speeds and voltages you can even run the system without a heatsink for several hours, even when playing games. As VIA demonstrated in a rather unique video, we are happy to confirm this test as a full success.
On the end of this long note, VIA has come quite a way in achievement but still has a long way to go. With Intel releasing the Celeron on P4 cores and AMD pushing the Duron to 1.4GHz, VIA is definitely fighting an uphill battle.
Runs even without heatsink
Overclocks quite well
Rather slow, even for value CPU
Not suitable for games
Rating - 8/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Treasure hunt started for Dibalo III Eternal Collection
- COD: Black Ops 4 patch unlocks FPS cap in ALL modes on PC
- Red Dead Redemption 2 requires 89GB HDD space
- AMD's next-gen Zen 2: 13% IPC improvement, better perf soon
- Fortnite update 6.10: PS4 Pro res jumps from 1080p to 1440p
- SIV Smart Fan 5 on X399 platforms ... a mess.
- Latest z370 taichi bios is not stable no matter what I do.
- Inland Processional 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Gen 3 Review
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam