The new Phenom on the block
Phenom II 955 Black Edition is AMD's newest processor on the block. It is based around the same K10 architecture that all the other Phenom processors are based on. Using the 45nm wafer design, AMD is able to keep the TDP at 125watts for this processor. High, yes, but still below the 130watt limit Intel uses for its 975 Core i7. There are no changes to the architecture or cache levels and the quad core design is kept with a total of 2MB L2 cache and a 6MB shared L3 cache. The major change in the Black Edition is increasing the Northbridge clock from 1.8GHz to 2GHz compared to the 940 Black Edition.
With the BE label comes one major feature that AMD is still proud to support and that is a fully unlocked multiplier set. Like the Extreme Edition Intel processors, AMD allows you to change your CPU multiplier up or down on the Black Edition processors to allow for a much easier overclock. AMD processors are very touchy when it comes to overclocking the FSB, but clocking the multiplier keeps all the buses in check and only CPU voltages are needed to be raised, keeping things a lot simpler.
AMD packages the latest processor in the same 940 pin AM3 socket which makes it fully backwards compatible with the AM2+ motherboards. Something we would like to see AMD finally do is go pin-less like Intel. It's a lot easier to replace a board than a CPU if a pin gets bent.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Low-end Switch to replace 3DS handheld
- Death Stranding isn't in testing phases yet
- Valve wants to use your brain as a controller
- Two new Nintendo Switch models to release around summer 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11: Noob Saibot/Shang Tsung added to roster
- ASrock X99 Extreme4 - adding NVMe SSD
- Global web designing
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Numskull Designs proudly reveals: Official Mortal Kombat Klassic merchandise
- Akuto: Showdown - fast-paced arena brawler game with swords and guns
- Creative Destruction and Transformers' Bumblebee Team Up for In-Game Event Arriving March 28
- Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash Invites You to Celebrate When it Releases April 10 on PC
- PUBG Mobile Reveals Its 2019 eSports Plans Which Will Feature A Prize Pool of $2.5 million USD