As is true with many netbooks and notebooks, the number of benchmarks that we can run on the machines is limited due to the low-resolution screen and lack of a discrete GPU. For the OCZ Neutrino I will be using our iTunes encoding test, our movie encoding test and getting numbers for the battery life via Battery Eater Pro v2.
We are still trying to settle on a test regime that works well for all notebooks regardless of the screen and hardware as well as netbooks. If different tests are used on different netbooks, it will be noted on the included charts. The first test up is our iTunes encoding test.
Version and / or Patch Used: 220.127.116.11
Developer Homepage: http://www.apple.com
Product Homepage: http://www.apple.com/itunes
For our iTunes encoding test I took 12 MP3 tracks from the old school Stone Temple Pilots album and converted them to AAC using iTunes 18.104.22.168.
It took the OCZ Neutrino 8 minutes and 26 seconds to convert the entire album form MP3 to AAC. Check out the chart below to see how the Neutrino compares to the other netbooks I have tested.
Version and / or Patch Used: 9
Developer Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com
For our movie encoding test I used Windows Media Encoder to encode the Microsoft Wonder of Flight video from 1080p resolution to a resolution suitable for streaming over the Internet. It took the OCZ Neutrino 17 minutes and 20 seconds to encode the entire film.
Battery Eater Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.70
Developer Homepage: http://batteryeater.com/development.html
Product Homepage: http://batteryeater.com
Battery Eater is a testing tool intended to reveal the potential of a notebook battery pack. Battery Eater can measure the minimum operation time of a notebook (when all power-saving options are disabled) under conditions close to the maximum workload (Classic mode).
You should be aware, though, that such conditions rarely occur during an ordinary use of a notebook and should be regarded as reflecting the minimum time the notebook can work on its battery. Battery Eater will show a result closest to the maximum possible in the "Idle" and in the "Reader's Test" mode (when all power-saving options are fully enabled).
Over the last several reviews I have been using both Mobile Mark 2007 and real world usage to get the battery life from the notebooks and netbooks I have tested. The problem with those two methods are that Mobile Mark often refuses to run on netbooks and the real world method leaves too much variance between platforms for my liking. Starting with this review and moving forward I will be using Battery Eater Pro v2 for all battery life testing. The benchmark puts much more of a strain on the battery than you are likely to do in real use, so your battery life will vary.
I ran Battery Eater Pro v2 on the Neutrino with the screen on max brightness and then ran the test again with the screen turned to half brightness. On full brightness the battery lasted for 1 hour and 2 minutes. With the screen at half brightness the battery lasted for 1 hour and 28 minutes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability, and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OCZ Neutrino Up Close]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - iTunes Encoding, Movie Encoding & Battery Life]
- Page 6 [Hands on Use]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox's Phil Spencer promoted to vice president of gaming
- HTC ceases stock trading, takeover likely
- Broker: Nintendo to sell 130 million Switch by 2020
- Intel delays 10nm CPU tech for the third time: late 2018
- Sarah Connor is back, new Terminator movie with Arnie
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower