The FSP POWER_MOD 700W was a nice surprise. Yes, it has a basic design and yes, it has elements shared with value oriented units, but it was definitely able to deliver rated power at both ambient and, in spite of documented limitations, elevated operating temperatures. The power supply market is definitely crowded in this capacity range and the FSP has certainly earned consideration. If you are looking for a good, stable power supply in the 700 Watt range, the FSP POWER_MOD 700W unit has earned our respect and warrants attention as a good value solution.
That aside, the SLI certification is a little odd with the current crop of modern gaming cards like the GTX 260 which uses two 6-pin connectors. This power supply is only native with three PCI-E connections, so native SLI support is limited to graphics cards with a single power connection. The other item that cost this unit points was the use of different colored nylon sleeving on the two modular PCI-E runs and another on the third PCI-E run. Call me picky, but I like to see a common theme.
Normally, I like to see standard loads at about 50% with maximum at about 65% to ensure the power supply operates cool and quiet with room to absorb transient loads which is about 350 to 450 Watts (test 2 and 3) which is an SLI system with graphics cards that use a single power connection. This explains the use of the three power PCI-E connectors instead of four since supporting GTX 260 cards in SLI is not the expected use. You could run that configuration or better on occasion like a benchmark system or the like, but I would certainly not load it that high for a long gaming session in a hot room for eight hours.
The FSP Group POWER_MOD 700W power supply does a great job at what it is designed to do; clean, stable power with a modest SLI based load or support for a single high end graphics card. You will not be disappointed with this power supply under these defined loads.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Package]
- Page 4 [In the Box]
- Page 5 [The Power Supply]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit