Usually when you think of headphones in general terms, you do not think of something possessing a vast amount of technology.
However, these are; 'not your ad-ver-age headphones yogi'. In fact, as mentioned in opening, they contain eight separate speakers. There are four in each ear piece to deliver stunning 5.1 surround sound in a super controlled environment; that being, your head!
Now let's take a quick look at some specs straight from the horse's mouth.
5.1 channel headset
8 speakers (4 in each ear piece)
Digital, in-line volume control
High end amplifier
Independent, illuminated volume adjustment for each channel and master volume
Detachable microphone with QuickOn connection
Supports Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic
Supports the chat function of PS3, Xbox and Xbox 360
Dynamic Range Control
Center speaker: 2 x 27 mm
Front speaker: 2 x 30 mm
Rear speaker: 2 x 30 mm
Subwoofer: 2 x 40 mm
Impedance: 32 Ohm
Microphone: 6 x 5 mm (L x W) / unidirectional
Cable Length: 360 cm
Connection: 1 x 9-pin analogue plug
Digital optical input (S/PDIF)
2 analogue audio outputs for the X-Tatic headset
3 analogue 3.5 mm audio outputs (front, rear, center / subwoofer)
1 microphone connector for PS3 (USB A -> USB B)
1 power connector
Dimensions: 15 x 122 x 56 mm (H x L x W)
Weight: 110 g
PC / MAC / other sources: analogue input (via cable adapter)
Xbox / Xbox 360: optical input
PS2 / PS3: optical input / USB microphone connection
PC / MAC: optical input / analogue or USB microphone input
DVD / other sources: optical input
Okay; so we can begin to understand at this point that they promise a lot in terms of innovation and performance along with features and compatibility. In fact, Sharkoon really have set the bar high for themselves here.
But to simplify this whole section of the review, what these headphones must do is quite simply 'create' an environment in the users head that sounds like they are in the center of a 5.1 channel system.
Sound easy? - Well it is not by a long, long stretch. Please also refer to my recent interview regarding another company's foray into the same market share; that being Psyko Audio Labs.
One of the main and most straight forward reasons this is not an easy task is because we only have two ears in order to hear with and delivering six channels of audio evenly across two ears is nothing short of a challenge, no-matter who's competing.
In terms of connectivity, the user can choose either optical 'toslink' or stereo mini-jack; the former being digital and the latter analog. For digital the headphones connect to the decoder via a nine pin connector, while for analog the same nine pin plug gets used, but instead it terminates with the three mini-jacks rather than the decoder unit.
So, from a technical standpoint this product sets out to not only cover a new and exciting sector of the market, but to also leave an indelible impression on it. With a heap of support ranging from Xbox/PS3, to well; just about anything you might want to connect in either digital or analog 5.1, Sharkoon sets the bar way up high for themselves and next up I'll see whether or not they make the mark.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Package and Contents]
- Page 3 [Technical Overview]
- Page 4 [Setup and Installation]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Titan Quest coming to consoles in 2018, even Switch
- Lyft is officially open for service in Toronto, Canada
- 10 million Nintendo Switches have already been sold
- Google Maps update notifys you to get off at next stop
- Ataribox will open pre-orders this Thursday
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus New 64GB SM-G955UZKAXAA $824
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series