Compared to the HD 4870, we see that the HD 4890 gives us a nice boost in performance. Having a look at the other cards, however, and the picture isn't so clear. Compared to the GTX 265 the performance is a bit up and down, depending on the game.
Breaking it down, we ultimately see the card does a pretty good job against the GTX 260. PT Boats performance finds it very close; CINEBENCH performance is up; WIC and Warhead performance trails slightly; FC2 performance is up and so is Clear Sky and Left 4 Dead.
We know that the card isn't designed to compete against the GTX 285 in the performance department; this is known because NVIDIA is releasing a GTX 275 to battle the HD 4890 which is going to come in cheaper than the GTX 285, as you would expect.
It's nice to see that come launch day GIGABYTE has offered an overclocked card with an extra few MHz on the core and memory. As for the bundle, we've got everything we need and while it would have been nice to see a full version game in the bundle, it doesn't come as a surprise that GIGABYTE hasn't included one. We're seeing more and more companies not include a game to help keep costs down.
Pricing is going to be the most important aspect of this card; we should see the HD 4890 come in at around the $250 US mark and this is a bit more expensive than the GTX 260, but this is also a launch price.
Deciding which card to buy is going to be a tough one and the performance between the two are a bit all over the place. What you do get with the ATI offering, though, is regular driver updates and with the HD 4890 being the most recent card from ATI there's no doubt that this is going to be the main card that the Catalyst driver team concentrates on for a while to come.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG's G7 development halted, LG starting over from scratch
- Super Meat Boy is a success on Switch
- Final Fantasy XV on PC will support mods
- Final Fantasy XV PC specs, release date announced
- Co-op platformer Super Chariot coming to the Nintendo Switch
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Which chip Is my main bios chip ( Gigabyte P17F Notebook )
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series