- The Chipset
The ABIT TH7 RAID motherboard is controlled by the Intel 850 Northbridge chipset which is the first chipset available for the Intel Pentium 4 processor. Using Direct RAMBUS, this new chipset allows for a stunning 3.2GB/s between the CPU and MCH. The chipset has all the now standard features such as ATA100, AGP4x (restricted to 1.5v) as well as support for PC600 and PC800 RDRAM up to a maximum of 2GB. doesn't this chipset remind you of the Intel Pentium III in more ways than one?
The Intel 850 chipset on the ABIT TH7 RAID motherboard is cooled with the reference Intel heatsink which the majority of Pentium 4 motherboards use, here is a picture...
- Modified Retention Mechanism
ABIT have chosen to use a modified retention mechanism to lock the heatsink down on the Intel Pentium 4 processor. Like I said in the introduction, ABIT are fully prepared to adopt changes like this and I feel it's for the better in many cases. I feel the modified retention mechanism is much easier to use than Intel's reference retention mechanism which other motherboard manufactures have chosen to use, good job ABIT.
- High Point HPT370
Native ATA100 IDE RAID isn't supported by the Intel 850 chipset, but ABIT have built in a High Point HPT370 IDE controller which allows for RAID operations, thus the RAID part of the ABIT TH7 RAID motherboard name. During our testing of the ABIT TH7 RAID motherboard, we did find that the IDE1 (orange) was faulty and only detected HDD's at 8gb (and CDROM devices not at all) even after replacing the IDE cable. I'm told this problem will be fixed in an up-and-coming BIOS fix.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series