Web Based Interface
The TL-WR941ND is configured through a web based interface that allows you to control all aspects and features of the router.
The default IP address for this is 192.168.1.1. Simply type this address into your favourite browser and log in. The default login information is on the bottom of the TL-WR941ND and also in the quickstart manual.
Once you are in, you see the screen above that gives you information on the status and condition of your TL-WR941ND. You can find the firmware version, hardware version, wireless, WAN and LAN status information.
Along the left side there is a menu that will take you to the different areas of the TL-WR941ND. I will cover the highlights and important sections below.
The quick setup is a series of steps to get you up and running quickly; it walks you through the basic configuration (including enabling the firewall). This is a handy tool for people new to networking, but it leaves most of the advanced options out.
The Network screens include setup and information for your LAN and WAN as well as setting up a clone of a MAC address for ISPs that do not like routers.
You can set the IP address and subnet mask you want to use for your personal network here when you set the IP address of the router. When you do this, the scope of the DHCP address range will automatically change as well.
Taking a closer look at the wireless setup page, we see some pretty standard stuff. You can change the name of the SSID as well as setup the broadcast channel and region.
To secure your wireless you have to head for the wireless security page. This is where you setup the type of encryption you want to use to protect your wireless network and bandwidth. You have options for WEP, WPA/WPA2 -PSK (pre-shared key) and WPA/WPA-2. To setup WPA/WPA-2, this requires the use of a radius server and is not something common in home or even SOHO use.
You also have the ability to lock your wireless down by Machine Address Codes; this is an extra level of security and will only allow MACs that are registered in the system.
Here we get a look at the advanced wireless settings area which is also very common from what we've seen before.
The TL-WR941ND has a virtual server setup that allows you to direct incoming traffic on a single or series of ports to a specific IP address; this is a handy feature and allows you to control the flow of traffic through your network. You can also setup port triggers, a DMZ (an area outside the firewall protection) and Universal Plug and Play.
A note on UPnP, although it is a nice feature, it can be exploited by hackers, so care should be taken if it is enabled.
Finally, we get a look at the system management section. Here you can set your time (complete with NTP server) upgrade your firmware, reboot the TL-WR941ND and see traffic statistics.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem's new patch adds replayable missions, tweaks loot
- NVIDIA better celebrate 4/20 with GeForce 420.00 drivers
- Like Twin Peaks and X-Files? Check out Remedy's Control
- Why EA is firing 350 employees: it's all about business
- Hitman 2 'Expansion Pass' update adds DX12 support, March 26
- Fan xpert 4 resets at every restart
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- The Division 2 Benchmarked: 20 Graphics Cards Tested
- MSI MEG X399 CREATION (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Dead Cells New, Free DLC 'Rise of the Giant' Animated Trailer Showcases All New Ways to Die in Dead Cells
- Morel Audio releases Hogtalare Speaker System
- Introducing New Streaming Bundles From BLD by NZXT
- Stylish Turn Based RPG Grimshade out today on Steam
- Othercide Reveals New Gameplay Trailer