Web Based Interface
The TL-WR941ND is configured through a web based interface that allows you to control all aspects and features of the router.
The default IP address for this is 192.168.1.1. Simply type this address into your favourite browser and log in. The default login information is on the bottom of the TL-WR941ND and also in the quickstart manual.
Once you are in, you see the screen above that gives you information on the status and condition of your TL-WR941ND. You can find the firmware version, hardware version, wireless, WAN and LAN status information.
Along the left side there is a menu that will take you to the different areas of the TL-WR941ND. I will cover the highlights and important sections below.
The quick setup is a series of steps to get you up and running quickly; it walks you through the basic configuration (including enabling the firewall). This is a handy tool for people new to networking, but it leaves most of the advanced options out.
The Network screens include setup and information for your LAN and WAN as well as setting up a clone of a MAC address for ISPs that do not like routers.
You can set the IP address and subnet mask you want to use for your personal network here when you set the IP address of the router. When you do this, the scope of the DHCP address range will automatically change as well.
Taking a closer look at the wireless setup page, we see some pretty standard stuff. You can change the name of the SSID as well as setup the broadcast channel and region.
To secure your wireless you have to head for the wireless security page. This is where you setup the type of encryption you want to use to protect your wireless network and bandwidth. You have options for WEP, WPA/WPA2 -PSK (pre-shared key) and WPA/WPA-2. To setup WPA/WPA-2, this requires the use of a radius server and is not something common in home or even SOHO use.
You also have the ability to lock your wireless down by Machine Address Codes; this is an extra level of security and will only allow MACs that are registered in the system.
Here we get a look at the advanced wireless settings area which is also very common from what we've seen before.
The TL-WR941ND has a virtual server setup that allows you to direct incoming traffic on a single or series of ports to a specific IP address; this is a handy feature and allows you to control the flow of traffic through your network. You can also setup port triggers, a DMZ (an area outside the firewall protection) and Universal Plug and Play.
A note on UPnP, although it is a nice feature, it can be exploited by hackers, so care should be taken if it is enabled.
Finally, we get a look at the system management section. Here you can set your time (complete with NTP server) upgrade your firmware, reboot the TL-WR941ND and see traffic statistics.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- CoolerMaster release the MasterKeys MK750 gaming keyboard
- Russia send gunslinging robot to pilot spacecraft into orbit
- Intel CPUs have serious bug: vulnerable to remote attacks
- AMD's next drivers will include OSD performance monitoring
- HP's new server rocks AMD EPYC CPUs, already breaks records
- Outstanding Design and Performance - Deep Look into New MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider
- Mean:It 5PM ARC Blue Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Intel 15.X series Raid Rom compatible with X99??
- Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB & 480GB AIC NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ