Specifications, Availability and Pricing
After a quick gander at the PSU label, what likely draws attention is the use of no less than six 12V rails, each capable of 20 amps each. The total output for 12V is a competitive 81 amps for 972 Watts of the available 1100 Watt capacity. This is very competitive for the segment, but unfortunately, like many other 1000 Watt power supplies, there are only four PCI-E cables. More on that in a bit.
You will note the only feature exception is the 50C power rating. Since the ATX standard only requires the manufacturer to rate the PSU at 25C operating temperature, the true power rating may be significantly less at 50C since power loss occurs as operating temperatures rise to this level. This PSU is rated at 40C, which is quite a bit better than 25C, but is still a little low from the standard set by premium brands like Corsair or PC Power and Cooling. Our hotbox test, which brings up the ambient temperature to about 45 to 50C, will definitely uncover any weakness if it exists. It will be interesting to see if the PowerBird 1100 can operate at the rated output at the elevated operating temperatures.
The other item of interest is the 80 Plus certification, or the lack thereof, actually. It does claim "80 Plus" efficiency up to 85% on the side of the box, but it is not the normal trademarked 80 Plus label. A quick check at the 80 Plus certification site confirms that the power supply is not certified (at least, not yet). Now, while that does not mean the power supply cannot deliver 80 plus efficiency, it will definitely be something to validate. The manufacturer may have simply opted not to pay for the certification. It will be interesting to see if it makes the grade in spite of the lack of certification.
The power supply is readily available from many online retailers and is competitively priced at 249.99 USD at NewEgg. The unit includes a standard three year warranty starting when you purchase the power supply, so make sure you file that receipt! While this is a not a 5 year or lifetime warranty offered by many competitors, it is still a good duration.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Package]
- Page 4 [In the Box]
- Page 5 [The Power Supply]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- COD: Black Ops 4 multiplayer could be inspired by Overwatch
- AMD Combat Crate: CPU, GPU, motherboard combo from MSI
- Detroit: Become Human gets gold mastered, demo coming soon
- Lootbox and skin trade to make $50 billion by 2022
- Yakuza devs making new IP for SEGA
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit