The first thing we have to talk about here is the price. When the 9800 GTX launched almost 12 months ago, it was $300 to $350. Today a 9800 GTX+ can be had for as low as $160. You just have to look at the performance as well to know that it's excellent value. For the most part the GTS 250 is able to offer you a good gaming experience with high to very high detail at up to 1920 x 1200.
You have to wonder, why should NVIDIA spend time and money creating a new graphics card for the $160 - $220 market when they can use a card that was released 12 months ago? - Yes, they could have just dropped the price of the card again, but then it wouldn't get the attention a new "model" would get.
The main thing to remember is if you have a 9800 GTX, don't buy a GTS 250; you're just not going to see a performance increase. If you're running off something older, however, and you want a new graphics card around the $200 mark, the GTS 250 / 9800 GTX+ is a great option. The card does represent very good value considering the HD 4870 starts at around $200.
Sure, it does fall back a few times; under Vantage it goes to the back of the pack and Clear Sky shows it struggling, but that's not uncommon with NVIDIA cards under that benchmark. We also see under L4D it does fall back a little as well; but under some of the top games like Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead and World in Conflict, it pulls out some good wins and even beats out the more expensive HD 4870.
It's a pain that NVIDIA has started a bit of a trend with this whole rehashed name thing, but at the end of the day if you're getting a good deal, who are you really to complain? - Plus, let's face it; saying you have a GTS 250 versus a 9800 GTX+ does sound cooler.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]