Newegg lists the QNAP TS-509 Pro at 899.00 and the Thecus N5200PRO at 749.00. From a feature standpoint both products have more or less the same functionality but ease of use and as we put on display today, performance clearly goes to the TS-509. So why start off with price you may ask? - With today's economic climate many businesses are looking for a way to shave costs and in some cases will do it when they shouldn't. With that said, on paper the difference between cost of the QNAP TS-509 and the Thecus N5200 appear to be much larger than they really are. It really comes down to 150 US Dollars, an amount that as stated previously, on paper might sway a CIO to lean towards the Thecus. In reality that 150 Dollars may be saved at least in part before the TS-509 gets its first bit of data saved to it.
Setup on the TS-509 is surprisingly easy compared to the other NAS servers I have worked with. Only the Netgear products can even compare with how fast you can have the entire NAS setup the way you need it to be. Don't get me wrong, the Thecus products can be setup quickly with basic functions to get you started, but the QNAP software allows you to get everything setup much faster. If you are paying outside techs to set your system up then expect to pay much less in hourly fees with the TS-509.
Transfer rates on the TS-509 Pro are also more favorable when compared to the Thecus N5200PRO. This will also reduce the cost of ownership due to not paying your employees to wait for a file to become available on the NAS. In the long run I think this is the best selling point for the TS-509 since it is much faster than the N5200PRO and allows the users to work much more efficiently, saving both time and money.
The feature set of the TS-509 Pro is impressive even though most users will not use all of them. Don't feel bad if you don't use them all, I was not able to make use of everything, but it is good to know that one product is able to cover so many users needs. QNAP has really taken the feature set to new levels, adding new features with each firmware release. Since I started this article they have added at least five new tasks that the TS-509 Pro can perform and have even more in the works.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Hardware and Software Specifications]
- Page 3 [Server Capabilities, Availability and Cost]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The QNAP TS-509 Pro]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [The Software Basics]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Backup / Content]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo to 'revive' a 'very officially cancelled' game
- PlayStation VR changes will be 'dramatic' over next 10 years
- Apple rumored to be working on 31.6-inch 6K display
- Metro Exodus dev talks ray tracing on next-gen consoles
- Star Citizen dev says ray tracing is 'a massive headache'
- Best reminder app
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- Explore a World of Ancient Chinese Mythology!
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America's Post EVO Japan Fighting Game News Round-up
- Million Arthur: Arcana Blood Coming To Steam This Summer
- Rising Lords announces alpha launch via new trailer
- Zombie-Veggie Shooter, The Walking Vegetables Radical! Edition Coming Soon to PS4!