For MPEG-2 playback tests, we ran The Matrix DVD, a personal favourite of mine on each system with hardware acceleration enabled to check for smoothness of playback as well as CPU usage during the test. The result was with 30 minutes of playback and the CPU utilization is the average.
During MPEG-2 playback both systems stayed at the same CPU usage level. After the official results were in, we did a bit more testing with the AMD system and ran a few other applications in the background at the same time, such as Email, Firefox and MSN. The AMD CPU managed to keep its usage down below 10% during all of this; quite possibly due to the four cores sharing the load, where Intel only has two on its Core 2 Duo.
Playback for MPEG-4 was again done with the Matrix, only encoded down to an MPEG-4 DivX 6.8 codec. 30 minutes was the time run. Smoothness of playback, audio sync and CPU usage are the keys here once again.
MPEG-4 playback was a little higher than MPEG-2 playback, but it didn't affect our system too much. We were still able to multi-task without slowing down the video or the system when loading Email and the like.
HD 720p Playback
This is the big one for the platforms. We downloaded a random 720p video to test out using Media Player 11. Again, quality of video playback, audio sync and CPU usage are the big things to focus on here.
This is another test where AMD managed to beat out the Intel CPU. Thanks to all four cores working together, the CPU usage was lower on the AMD setup. This also could be thanks to dual channel memory when loading up so much data.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Media Playback]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 8 [Power Usage]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Razer kills its PC game storefront
- Switch VR may happen via Google Cardboard-like Labo kits
- Anthem's loading times may be a big problem
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage