For a lower end overclocking board, this board really pulls the power. DFI have actually gotten extra power out of the i845D that ASUS failed to do. As we can see throughout the benchmarks, the DFI motherboard maintained a rather good lead; especially in the memory benchmark department. While we saw some sagging benchmarks on our first i845D board, we have seen that DFI has been able to eliminate these with good DDR optimization. While supporting DDR SDRAM, Intel is still pushing for RDRAM chipset boards. With this policy, the DDR SDRAM solution has been crippled with supporting a maximum of 4-bank or 2 DDR DIMM slots. While able to support up to 2GB of memory, it is hard if not impossible to come by 1GB modules at the moment. Adding another two memory banks or allowing 3 DIMM sockets (like the SiS 645 and ALi's P4 solutions) would see better support take up over the alternative P4 platform solutions. While we have seen some P4 i845D boards with three DDR DIMM sockets, sockets two and three share the same memory banks and that is like having to install special memory configurations like the i815 with more than 2 SDRAM slots.
As for general thoughts on the board, if this is not an overclocking board and we have these scores, what will DFI gain with overclocking? Abit's place? We can only hope.
Ultra Fast i845D chipset
Very little overclocking
No added features.
Rating - 7/10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gearbox CEO addresses current Borderlands 3 rights rumors
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, a Mierce comeback
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze trailer, meet the Kongs
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- FS 40 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 128GB $8,520
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit