Using a 1/5/1(AGP/CPI/Riser), the DFI NB70-SC is laid out like just about any other OEM driven motherboard. Many of DFI's motherboards use this same configuration, so we see that the big push from DFI at the moment is towards OEM sales rather than hardcore overclockers. Supporting Intel's CNR standard, the NB70-SC is ideal for the business PC or simple P4 home use. And since it supports only 1.5v AGP video cards (thanks to the i845D chipset), you will need a reasonably new AGP card to run this board, and that can be a drawback.
Driven by Intel's i845D DDR SDRAM chipset, there is plenty of headroom for the Pentium 4 with its DDR SDRAM support. It has 2 DDR DIMM's and can accept up to 2GB of total system memory. This is the one limiting factors of the i845D boards; their support for only 4-bank memory. While some boards offer 3 or 4 DDR DIMM's, you need to use special memory configurations to use the entire 3 or 4 DIMM slots. Utilizing the ICH2, we get 4 USB ports on 32 controllers (2 ports per controller), ATA-100 IDE, AC'97 Audio, and all those other Intel goodies. While the Intel Pro100VE LAN is integrated into the ICH2, DFI have chosen not to use it and strip the board of LAN functions.
This ain't good!
We've seen this before, and it's not good! Soldered onto the motherboard is the BIOS Flash chip, so if you do get a bad Flash your board needs to go back to DFI to have the BIOS replaced or re-Flashed; and that is an expensive process. No Hot Flashes here guys.
Stability, Reliability and Overclocking
The DFI board is very plain when it comes to overclocking. FSB adjustments are made in 1MHz increments, and are all this board supports. There are some rather nice AGP, PCI and memory tweaks in the BIOS, but nothing to get over excited about. The stability of the board, however, is. We ran this board through 48 hours of solid benchmarking. During this testing of the stability of the motherboard, we never had one single crash or data corruption error. This is very good sign for the business market who need to have rock solid performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will release next month
- SuperData Analyst Interview on Call of Duty: WWII Success
- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series