The Thecus N4100PRO is the first NAS appliance we have tested with Intel's NASPT and we do not have a lot of data from competing products to compare the test results to. In 2009 TweakTown will be testing two to three devices per month and will be able to build a database of results that will show the strengths and weaknesses of each NAS.
For today's test we chose to use the Netgear ReadyNAS NV as the control. My ReadyNAS NV is an older model that I tested a few years ago, so it is no surprise that the Thecus N4100PRO is much faster. Out of the retail box, with the latest firmware the N4100PRO shows strong results in consumer tests like HD video playback and recording. The N4100PRO is designed for consumer and SOHO use and delivers strong performance in those activities. Businesses that need daily backup operations will want to upgrade the unit with a larger memory module or look at Thecus' products designed for these types of uses.
When it comes to the price, the Thecus N4100PRO is right on the money, so to speak. At 399 Dollars online with free shipping, the N4100PRO is a remarkable bargain. Once you add in a few drives the price increases, but with large 1TB drives breaking the sub-100 Dollar mark, adding cheap storage shouldn't be a problem.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Thecus N4100PRO]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [The Software Basics]
- Page 7 [RAID, Folder Management and Ethernet]
- Page 8 [Services, Media Streaming and Advanced Options]
- Page 9 [Transfer Protocols and Backup Services]
- Page 10 [System Notification and User Management]
- Page 11 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Backup / Content]
- Page 16 [Final Thoughts]