Athlon 64 X2 7750 in Detail
First off we should state that while the 7750 carries the Athlon name, it is not based around the K8 architecture, AMD is slowly phasing out the K8 architecture in favour of the K10, and this is evident with the new CPU being released today.
AMD is not only releasing the Athlon X2 7750 BE (Black Edition) which we are looking at here, but also the Athlon X2 7550, with the difference being is that it is clocked at 2.5GHz - 200MHz slower than the BE, oh and not unlocked.
From the CPU-Z screenshot you can see that that design is based around a 64nm process codenamed Kuma. Kuma is actually a cut down version of the AMD Phenom processors that are currently out. First off it's limited to a dual-core offering, which is kind of evident by the X2 part in the name.
Sharing the lower clocked Phenom's specs the 7750 uses a 1.8GHz HT link, which also limits the integrated Northbridge's frequency to 1.8GHz. Thanks to the K10 architecture the new Athlon gets official HT3.0 specs allowing it to communicate with the external Northbridge at higher speeds and K8 based Athlon's cache memory has also changed thanks to the K10 architecture improvements. First off the L2 cache has been dropped to 512K per core (1MB total CPU L2 cache) however a 2MB shared L3 cache has been used - it is the same size that all Phenom CPU's share giving it extra memory storage on the CPU.
The CPU package hasn't changed compared to the older Athlon's. We have shot a Core 2 Quad 9770 CPU for reference. AMD has designed the 7750 to be a drop in replacement for AM2/AM2+ motherboards that support 95 watt or higher TDP.
Since the CPU is drop in replacement AMD has gone with using the older pin arrangement compared to Intel's LGA design that has been used since the Pentium 4 600 series CPU. Hopefully AM3 CPU's will start to use the LGA design like the newer Opteron's are starting to use.
For a full rundown on the K10 architecture that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 uses, please visit our Phenom X4 review here.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The New Recruit]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Mortal Kombat 11 paid beta features 5 fighters, no Sub-Zero
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced