Time to look at the board itself. On the surface the board looks just like any other board that GIGABYTE puts out. A full sized 30x24cm 6 layer PCB in the ocean blue colour returns to us; GIGABYTE love their blues.
The 24-pin power connector along with the single black FDD port are placed on the upper right hand edge of the board behind the four DDR2 memory slots that the board is equipped with. The 4/8 aux power port is located in its usual spot on the upper left hand side of the board, right behind the PS/2 ports. The single green IDE port is located on the bottom right hand edge of the board, just in front of the six SATA ports that the ICH10R controls.
The CPU area is extremely clean and open. Thanks to the solid state components used for the voltage regulation system, a lot of space is freed up. We had no problems installing our OCZ Vanquisher heatsink to the board and removing it; this is also because the DS3R doesn't have any heatsinks on its Mosfets. The DS3 series of boards uses a standard four phase voltage regulation system to provide the CPU with all its power needs. Being a basic board, it's not aimed at extreme overclocking.
Lastly on the list are the expansion slots and the extra little features added to make it what it is. The board has two PCI Express x16 slots; one blue and one orange. The blue slot is connected to all 16 lanes from the Northbridge and supports PCIe 2.0 specs. The orange slot is electrically only able to provide four lanes and runs off the ICH10Rs PCIe channels. This is the same as how the older P35 was given its Crossfire support, so the DS3R has Crossfire support but it's the older 16/4 configuration. Since four of six lanes are taken up by the orange slot, there is only a single x1 PCIe slot. However, if you want to use the x1 slot you can't have a GPU in the orange slot. Four PCI legacy slots are also included for legacy connection.
Taking up the last two PCIe lanes are a PCIe x1 Realtek Gigabit Ethernet controller and a Marvell PCIe to IDE controller. To give the board FireWire support, a Texas Instruments PCI to FireWire-400 controller is included with three-port support. Two of them are on the rear I//O in the form of a 4-pin and 6-pin connector and one in the form of a 9-pin header for either a PCI Expansion cover or a front panel FireWire port connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel's new XMM 7660 LTE modem: 1.6Gbps speeds on your phone
- Skyrim on Switch runs at native 900p resolution while docked
- THQ Nordic grabs Biomutant game rights and developer
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Vivendi postpones Ubisoft takeover
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ