With the advent of serial transfer technology for the hard disk market, we have finally seen improved transfer speeds when it comes to hard disks. NCQ and 300MB/s data transfer speeds now allow for desktop hard disks to perform faster and more reliably than the older parallel ATA solutions. While this may bode well for the desktop, the server market has still had to deal with parallel technology. SCSI has been the long favourite because of its faster interface speeds along with the ability to daisy chain up to 32 drives per channel. And with SCSI controllers having three or four channels, it was clear that SCSI had its benefits. However, parallel interfacing has gone out the window and we now have a new technology to replace it; this called Serial Attached SCSI or SAS.
How SAS works is very similar to SATA; it uses the same seven wires to connect the drive to the host controller. However, instead of sending ATA packets, SCSI data bits are sent along the controller cable to the controller which then decodes them. This means that the drive has no interface chip; similar to parallel SCSI; it's all handled on the controller card itself.
Today we have HighPoints Value series SAS controller card, aimed at the mid-range workstation or desktop with high data demands. The RocketRAID 2640X4 today makes its appearance here at TweakTown.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 microtransactions should be cosmetic-only weapon & armor skins
- No Man's Sky physical re-release includes Beyond expansion and all DLC
- Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 coming to PS4 at 1080p 60FPS
- Modern Warfare supports mouse and keyboard on consoles
- Oddworld: Soulstorm on PC releases exclusively on the Epic Games Store
- Team Group T-Force Cardea Liquid M.2 SSD Review
- Synology DS620slim Six-Bay SFF NAS Review
- LaCie Rugged RAID Shuttle Review
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- HyperX Reveals Console Accessories for Microsoft Xbox and Sony PS4 at Gamescom
- HyperX Reveals HyperX Aqua Keyboard Switches and Qi Certified Wireless Charging Products at Gamescom
- Yubico Launches the World's First Lightning-Compatible Security Key, the YubiKey 5Ci
- Monkey King: Hero Is Back Pre-Orders Now Open on Steam
- Lionsgate and Bloober Team Release New Blair Witch 'Insanity' Story Trailer