It seems like we're not the only one with the HD 4670. I know there are plenty of review sites with the card, but it also seems like some people at NVIDIA have a card which lead to an interesting e-mail this morning.
The e-mail pretty much said in a nutshell "Please compare the HD 4670 to the 9600 GSO and 9600 GT and not the 9500 GT, because that's where the card is really aimed at". This was fair enough, so I took the time to do a bit of research on pricing; the HD 4670 has a launch RRP of $79 US.
A 9500 GT DDR3 card with 512MB can be had for as cheap as $64 US, but most seem to sit around the $74 US to $79 US mark. What this means is that the card sits perfectly against the HD 4670. The 9600 GSO is actually more in the $89 US price range and carries with it less memory. If you look at the 768MB version to compare against the 512MB 9500 GT, the price tends to be up over $100 US.
So, with that sorted let's talk about the HD 4670. For a mid-range card the thing is an absolute beast. The HD 4000 series is everything the HD 3000 series should have been. High end is important, but ultimately it's the under $100 cards that sell and it looks like the HD 4670 is a real winner. It's clear that NVIDIA are concerned about the card. And so they should be with the performance it puts out. Sure it lacks in some features like CUDA and PhysX, but what is so important to people is how well is it going to run their games.
At the end of the day the HD 4670 is going to run every game you play better than the 9500 GT 512MB GDDR3 card. AMD deserve a pat on the back because this card is really fantastic and running two in Crossfire is also great. We didn't have any nasty problems, incompatibilities or anything like that. It ran fast from the word go. Adding a second card is going to be a cheap upgrade path for a lot of people later down the track.
Since NVIDIA already have their lineup of mid-range cards out, the only way they can combat the HD 4670 is with an aggressive price drop. We've seen them do it before, but today if you're looking for a mid-range card that offers simply fantastic value for money that will let you play games at up to about 1600 x 1200 with medium settings or even 1680 x 1050 which requires slightly less power, the card is a fantastic option for people looking for value.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Razer kills its PC game storefront
- Switch VR may happen via Google Cardboard-like Labo kits
- Anthem's loading times may be a big problem
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage