Unfortunately we didn't get the full retail box included with our sample, this due to the early nature of it. However, we did get the board and that's really what counts here today.
As you can see, GIGABYTE has managed to turn out a very impressive layout indeed. GIGABYTE intends this board to be aimed at the overclockers and enthusiasts, so a good layout is extremely important.
As per GIGABYTE style, the 24-pin ATX power connector along with the FDD connector are located behind the four DDR2 memory slots that the board is equipped with on the upper right hand side of the board. The 4-pin power connector is shoved over to the left side of the board behind the PS/2 ports and is snug between the heatsink assembly for the voltage regulators.
Moving down the board, we have the six SATA ports that the ICH10R supports which are towards the lower right edge of the board. Only two of the six are rotated where the other four point straight up. I would have preferred to have seen all of them on their sides and stacked, for a better and cleaner layout. Next to the SATA ports is an 8080 diagnostic connector that reads out post codes from the PCI bus, allowing users to know just what is happening with their systems. Another plus is the onboard press switches for the power on and reset. If you don't plan to put this into a case, you don't have to wire up jumpers for power and reset, they are provided.
Moving along to the CPU area, it does look a little cramped. However, there is more than enough room for us to get our OCZ Vanquisher installed and removed without too much hassle. Compared to the ASUS P5Q Deluxe which scraped our knuckles on the heatsink when trying to get it installed and removed, the P45-Extreme is quite a bit easier.
GIGABYTE's power regulation system comes from a Dual Circuit 6-phase voltage system. In total there are 12 regulators, but rather than being in series GIGABYTE runs parallel 6 phases to get a total of 12; a better and cleaner voltage signal comes from not overloading a single rail, but having dual planes to go through.
While not the first manufacturer to introduce water cooling onto the Northbridge, GIGABYTE is not here to be outdone. For the cooling you can either leave it as the air cooling system that it's intended for or you can choose to go with running water through the system to help cool the voltage system along with the North and Southbridges. If you intend to go extreme, a bolt on extra is included that uses up the top PCI expansion slot (meaning you lose the only PCIe x1 slot the board) in order to run a unique cooling system. This screws onto a spare plate on the Northbridge cooler and allows for a better overall heat exchange.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard - Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Acer Predator X27: 4K 144Hz HDR G-Sync f or $1999 on June 1
- Paradox Interactive announce Imperator: Rome, trailer reveal
- Resident Evil 7 will debut to Nintendo Switch, only in Japan
- Overwatch director hints at cross-platform opportunities
- Deadpool 2 fails to beat Deadpool's opening weekend revenue
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,257
- Photo Backup and Build your own cloud with Synology
- Buy 2 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 64GB $1,038
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit