Samsung is one of the largest memory suppliers in the world, so it is natural to find them playing in the Solid-State Drive (SSD) market. Their latest offering, the MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA00 is a 2.5-inch 32GB drive with big potential and a new low price tag. From the get go we were told to expect MTRON MOBI performance at a 15% reduced cost.
The new Samsung drives are available in 32 and 64GB in the 2.5-inch form factor. It is my opinion that most of these will make their way into business notebooks, but the professional market will have a different plan. Solid-State Drives have a very low access time that allows their use in RAID arrays without a large access time penalty like when using traditional hard disks.
Today we are going to take the new Samsung MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA00 and put it through hell with two different single drive configurations and run RAID 0 on two, three and four drives. In addition, we took three drives and ran a RAID 5 array just to see if there was a performance hit we would get on an Areca SAS controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Samsung MCBQE32G5MPP-0VA00]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro - Read]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro - Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Everest - Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Real World Applications]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]