In usual Abit style, you are able to adjust all sorts of settings in the Soft Menu III bios however, some things in particular caught my eye. You can set the FSB all the way up to 250MHz in 1MHz increments. On top of this, you can adjust the AGP and PCI bus divider to 3/1, 4/1, FIX PCI 33, FIX PCI 37.5 and FIX PCI 40. This is the first time I have seen a motherboard that allows you to fix the PCI bus at a certain speed. This means that the PCI bus will always be at the speed you set, which enables you to increase the FSB even further without losing stability. You are also able to set the CPU core voltage to a whopping 2.2V in 0.05v increments.
With air cooling, I was able to overclock my Pentium 4 2GHz processor (20x100MHz) to a huge 2.32GHz (20x116MHz) with a core voltage of 2.0v. Anything higher than that would not POST. This is a huge overclock, especially considering it was only with air cooling. At 2.32GHz my system was very stable and I was able to run Prime95 for 24 hours straight without one lockup.
Overall I am very pleased with the Abit BD7-RAID. It has a great feature set, good layout, excellent overclocking results, great stability and most importantly, good performance. It managed to beat the P4X266 chipset in all tests and was not too far behind the i850. That said, I have not had a chance to test the performance of this board against the SiS645 and the newly released VIA P4X266A chipset. Both of these chipsets have been shown by various media reviews as strong performers. Either way, the Intel i845D chipset is a very good alternative to the i850 chipset and you will not be disappointed if you purchase this motherboard. If you are looking for a stable, high performing motherboard with a great feature set to go with your Pentium 4, make sure you consider the Abit BD7-RAID.
* Great layout
* Very stable
* Good performance
* ATA133 support
* Excellent overclocker
* Diagnostic LED readout
* Detailed user's manual
* Only two DIMM slots
Rating - 9.5/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Labo brings cardboard cut-outs to the gaming world
- Metal Gear Survive will feature microtransactions
- Surprise character hits Dragon Ball FighterZ before launch
- God of War: Stone Manson Edition unveiled
- Dark Souls Remastered won't support cross-platform
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series