In usual Abit style, you are able to adjust all sorts of settings in the Soft Menu III bios however, some things in particular caught my eye. You can set the FSB all the way up to 250MHz in 1MHz increments. On top of this, you can adjust the AGP and PCI bus divider to 3/1, 4/1, FIX PCI 33, FIX PCI 37.5 and FIX PCI 40. This is the first time I have seen a motherboard that allows you to fix the PCI bus at a certain speed. This means that the PCI bus will always be at the speed you set, which enables you to increase the FSB even further without losing stability. You are also able to set the CPU core voltage to a whopping 2.2V in 0.05v increments.
With air cooling, I was able to overclock my Pentium 4 2GHz processor (20x100MHz) to a huge 2.32GHz (20x116MHz) with a core voltage of 2.0v. Anything higher than that would not POST. This is a huge overclock, especially considering it was only with air cooling. At 2.32GHz my system was very stable and I was able to run Prime95 for 24 hours straight without one lockup.
Overall I am very pleased with the Abit BD7-RAID. It has a great feature set, good layout, excellent overclocking results, great stability and most importantly, good performance. It managed to beat the P4X266 chipset in all tests and was not too far behind the i850. That said, I have not had a chance to test the performance of this board against the SiS645 and the newly released VIA P4X266A chipset. Both of these chipsets have been shown by various media reviews as strong performers. Either way, the Intel i845D chipset is a very good alternative to the i850 chipset and you will not be disappointed if you purchase this motherboard. If you are looking for a stable, high performing motherboard with a great feature set to go with your Pentium 4, make sure you consider the Abit BD7-RAID.
* Great layout
* Very stable
* Good performance
* ATA133 support
* Excellent overclocker
* Diagnostic LED readout
* Detailed user's manual
* Only two DIMM slots
Rating - 9.5/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pornhub traffic hardens when YouTube went limp during crash
- Darksiders III will be around 15+ of gameplay, HDR supported
- Rocket League to go 4K/60FPS on Xbox One X, likely crossplay
- SEGA announces Sonic franchise has shipped 800 million units
- Dynasty Warriors 8 hacks n' slashes its way onto the Switch
- SIV Smart Fan 5 on X399 platforms ... a mess.
- Latest z370 taichi bios is not stable no matter what I do.
- Inland Processional 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Gen 3 Review
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam