MSI has used AMI BIOS for the past three years, and this has not changed with the P45 Platinum motherboard. AMI BIOS has come a long way since its beginning when it was a real chore to deal with; now it's extremely simple, and in fact can sometimes be mistaken for the cleanliness and ease of use that is the Award BIOS.
MSI puts its overclocking features under the Cell Menu. Until MSI changes its overclocking system from Core Cell, you will find all overclocking options under this menu.
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency: 200 - 800 in 1MHz Increments
PCI-E Frequency: Locked to 100MHz
PCI Frequency: 37.7, 42MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.125v to 1.45v on 0.025v Increments
CPU GLT REF0: 0.7614v to 0.7906v in Various Increments
CPU GLT REG1: 0.7614v to 0.7906v in Various Increments
DRAM Voltage: 1.5v to 3.07v in 0.002v Increments
NB Voltage: 0.80v to 2.37v in 0.01v Increments
VTT FSB Voltage: 0.90v to 1.3v in 0.02v Increments
SB Voltage: 0.56v to 1.52v in Various Increments
In our first overclocking experience with the P45 chipset, we managed to pass just over 500MHz FSB with a total of 504MHz. This was done with only moderate voltage adjustments. We could have gone further, however, we didn't have a lot of time to do voltage tweaks before our deadline was reached. We will be re-visiting this board later on with a P45 overclocking and power saving article comprising this board and two others.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking, or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - HDD Performance]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Consumption and Heat Generation Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sixth Goku iteration added to Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Kotal Kahn gets bodied in his own Mortal Kombat 11 reveal
- Heavy Rain/Detroit: Become Human will release on Epic Store
- Epic Games announces $100 million grant program
- Smash Bros. Ultimate pro-player storms out of tournament
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- Seagate Game Drive PS4 2TB Review
- LoanCare, a ServiceLink Company, Announces New Chief Information Officer
- Giada Adds AMD Ryzen-Powered DM6 To High-Performance Signage Player Series
- Slay Time - Hack and Slash MMORPG Guardians of Ember Enters Open Beta
- Nokia Commits US$750K to Support the Work of the Internet Engineering Task Force
- The global installed base of airport asset tracking systems will reach 0.4 million units in 2023