With the package out of the way, it's time to check out the card. Having a look over it, there isn't anything too out of the ordinary going on with the cooler design. The cooler takes up the whole card which is pretty common for higher end cards these days, and the design is very similar to the 9800 GTX with the main difference being a square design.
We also see a sticker on the cooler that lets us know the brand, model and the fact that the card is again an AMP! Edition.
Checking out the back of the card, we see a similar design to the 9800 GX2 where the entire card was covered with a shroud. Along the back of the card we also have some vents where some of the hotter components have a bit of room to breathe.
Moving around the card, towards the back and across the top we have our power connectors which out of the box are covered with a warning sticker. Underneath the sticker we find two connectors, an 8-pin and a 6-pin. To the right of the connectors we also have the port for our loop back cable if you want to get sound through the HDMI convertor included in the package.
Continuing along the top of the card, we have two SLI connectors which out of the package have a cover over them. Two connectors' means that we have support for up to three cards, meaning if you have a compatible motherboard, you could have Tri-SLI.
Finally we check out the I/O panel, and like most high-end cards we have two Dual Link DVI connectors and a single TV-Out port. As you would have probably already guessed, the card does take up two slots.
Out of the box, a stock clocked GTX 280 is coming with a 600MHz core, 1300MHz shader clock and 2200MHz DDR memory clock on the 1GB of GDDR3. Compared to the 9800 GTX, this is 75MHz lower on the core and 388MHz lower on the shader clock. Both cards carry the same memory speed, though the 9800 GTX has only 512MB of GDDR3.
Compared to the dual GPU wielding 9800 GX2, we have the same core speed, a shader clock that is 200MHz higher and a memory clock that is 200MHz DDR lower. However, both the GTX 280 and GX2 sport 1GB of GDDR3.
While the GTX 280 might not sound that impressive when compared to the 9800 GTX, there are some big improvements in some of the more important areas. Instead of a 256-bit interface, we have a 512-bit one. Stream processors are also up from 128 to 240.
The new GTX 280 also includes PhysX and CUDA technology which is something we will go into more detail on when the drivers become available in the near future.
With all that said Zotac has upped the ante on their version of the card pushing the core to 700MHz the shader to 1400MHz and the memory clock to 2200MHz DDR.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Luigi's Mansion 3 has a spooky Halloween debut, October 31
- PUBG's backstory is a Lex Luthor puppetmaster fantasy dream
- Human-based AI solves Rubik's Cube in 28 moves, 1.2 seconds
- Humans search for alien interstellar Morse code with arrays
- Elon Musk's Neuralink head DRILLING tests begin next year
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Review
- NZXT H500i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- closing explorer.exe cause unstable mouse movement
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT benchmarked at 3440x1440
- Royale Pass Season 8 And More Graces PUBG Mobile's Battlefield In Time For New Version Update
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall Retail Versions Now Available for Pre-Order
- Night Call - A Noire Novella Investigative Game - Out Now on Steam and Xbox Game Pass for PC
- Edge of Eternity gets third chapter 'The Reunion' in major update today
- Asmodee Digital Kicks Off Early Access for Gloomhaven With a Brand New Launch Trailer