Test System Setup
Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Cooling: Stock cooling
Motherboard(s): MSI X48 Platinum (Supplied by MSI)
Graphics Card(s): MSI Radeon HD 3870 X2 (Supplied by MSI)
Memory: 2 X 2GB Patriot DDR3-1666 (Supplied by Patriot)
Hard Disk(s): Seagate 320GB 7200RPM SATA-2 7200.10 (Supplied by Seagate)
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
Drivers: ATI Catalyst 8.3
With the Lite-On DX-401S in hand along with our trusty Pioneer DVR-212 DVD burner, it's time to see how the drives compare against each other.
One thing that is worth noting is that the Pioneer DVR-212 drive is an internal SATA drive while the Lite-On DX-401S is a USB 2.0 drive. While USB 2.0 has come a long way, it's not quite the same as having the drive connected directly to the motherboards SATA port.
Nero DiscSpeed 4
In our first test we check out the access times, as you can see for our BR media the access time is actually better than our DVD with the 25GB able to edge out the 50GB disc. Comparing DVD to DVD between the two drives, we can see the access times are very similar between the two.
As you would expect, the burst rate from the Pioneer SATA drive is the highest of the two, but the USB 2.0 Lite-On BR ROM does manage to hold itself together without any dramas.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Drive and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System and Nero Disc Speed]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dbrands Nintendo Switch skins guarantee no damage to device
- PowerColor teases Radeon RX Vega Nano prototype
- AMD teases Ryzen 7 2800X, could be a 10C/20T beast at 4GHz+
- Xbox One could soon have 120Hz high refresh rate option
- Valve picks up Campo Santo, Firewatch developer
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit