The Shuttle AV40 was the first production P4X266 board to hit the market. There are two versions of this motherboard, the AV40 and the AV40R. The only difference between them is that the AV40R features a Promise ATA100 RAID controller. There are 5 PCI slots, a 2x/4x AGP slot and no AMR/CNR or ISA slots. An extra PCI slot would have been nice due to the fact there was no inclusion of an ISA slot. CNR and AMR slots are rarely used and usually just take up space on the motherboard. The main issue I had with the layout of this motherboard was the FDD header placement. It was placed far award from the IDE headers making it somewhat inaccessible. Some of you will need to purchase either a longer FDD cable or a new case in order to have the cable reach from the FDD drive to the FDD header. Other than that, the layout of the board was fairly logical with the ATX header placed behind the DIMM slots so the wires do not run over the heatsink/fan unit.
Promise ATA100 RAID Controller
The AV40R features three DDR DIMM slots that allow for up to 1.5GB of PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM. This should be more than enough for anyone looking to purchase this motherboard. The North Bridge is cooled by a rather large Foxconn heatsink/fan unit. While the North Bridge only requires a passive heatsink, having an added fan will certainly lead to more stable overclocking. For those of you that don't care for high quality sound, The AV40R also features VIA onboard sound.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Why EA closed Visceral and recycled its Star Wars game
- Team Fortress 2 blends with Jurassic Park in new update
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild compared on Switch and PC @ 4K
- Qualcomm unveils its new Snapdragon 636 processor
- Analogue's Super Nt will play every SNES game at 1080p
- ASUS Battery Health Charging - windows 10 
- EK Fluid Gaming: Water-Cooled Gaming PC Build Guide
- Thecus® N2350 & N4350 the most affordable Home NAS series now available worldwide
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce GTX 1080 Vulcan X OC Review
- South Park: The Fractured But Hole Review
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz