The Shuttle AV40 was the first production P4X266 board to hit the market. There are two versions of this motherboard, the AV40 and the AV40R. The only difference between them is that the AV40R features a Promise ATA100 RAID controller. There are 5 PCI slots, a 2x/4x AGP slot and no AMR/CNR or ISA slots. An extra PCI slot would have been nice due to the fact there was no inclusion of an ISA slot. CNR and AMR slots are rarely used and usually just take up space on the motherboard. The main issue I had with the layout of this motherboard was the FDD header placement. It was placed far award from the IDE headers making it somewhat inaccessible. Some of you will need to purchase either a longer FDD cable or a new case in order to have the cable reach from the FDD drive to the FDD header. Other than that, the layout of the board was fairly logical with the ATX header placed behind the DIMM slots so the wires do not run over the heatsink/fan unit.
Promise ATA100 RAID Controller
The AV40R features three DDR DIMM slots that allow for up to 1.5GB of PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM. This should be more than enough for anyone looking to purchase this motherboard. The North Bridge is cooled by a rather large Foxconn heatsink/fan unit. While the North Bridge only requires a passive heatsink, having an added fan will certainly lead to more stable overclocking. For those of you that don't care for high quality sound, The AV40R also features VIA onboard sound.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series