The High End
Since there is not a dedicated tweeter here to handle the high end of things, the single 2.5" full range driver must handle everything thrown at it; which we know can be done, and done well as is seen in the Logitechs and Megaworks speakers. Unfortunately, in this case the listener receives quite a metallic digital sound that possesses very little actual high end energy and leaves vocals sounding a little like they were put through a digital food processor and spat out all over the place.
In fact, at near full volume there is little recourse other than to offer ones ears some protection against the tempest of noise that bombards your quarters. It is not solely the non-inclusion of a tweeter that led to lacklustre performance. In this area we must also take into account the enclosure's design and quality of the driver used.
To summarize briefly, when music is concerned I cannot recommend these speakers solely as faithful reproducers of the high frequency spectrum. On a more positive note so to speak, things do get a little better when lost in a movie, but musically the performance is left wanting.
The Low End
The low end duties are performed by what should for all intents and purposes be an adequate 8" front firing speaker for the job needed. However, unfortunately this is not the case, as things are marred by a lightweight magnet being used with sparse amounts of power, resulting in really light-on bass most of the time. However, we always must remember to keep things in perspective of their price point. Now these are being sold for under a $100 dollars from what I can tell, which is a lot less than the $500 Logitechs and $400 Megaworks I have used as markers of performance along the way.
So, we must of course factor this into the scheme of things, but I still think it's nice to know all of the pros and cons of something in order to present the buyer with something they can use as a comparison against other products, not just a rap sheet on all the goodies.
Games & DVD Playback
This is probably the area these speakers were designed for and is certainly their strongest point. Using the 5.1 configuration along with my new Auzentech soundcard, things were engaging for the most part with a very usable surround experience on offer here. Bass concerns rear up again when things get heated in either a game or movie, as do concerns of a metallic high-end. But not to dwell, we have a strong gaming and movie system here, for the most part.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PUBG's 'Event Mode' will have rotating game types and modes
- Custom Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons will come with a D-pad
- Nintendo debut eShop sale in North America and Europe
- Dying in Sea of Thieves will soon cost you in-game gold
- EA's new AI has taught itself to play Battlefield 1
- ADATA XPG Spectrix D40 RGB DDR4-3000 16GB Review
- (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $12,980
- GIGABYTE Z170MX Gaming5 non K overclock
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone X Brand New Unlocked 64GB $7,490
- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 140mm Magnetic Levitation Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit