To test the Coolink ChipChilla I used a standard NVIDIA 680i SLI motherboard that was provided to me by XFX (Pine Technology) more than a year ago. The 680i SLI chipset has a reputation of running hot, even at idle running stock speeds. This makes it the perfect motherboard to test the ChipChilla .or so I thought.
The NVIDIA MCP; the Southbridge is cooled by the Northbridge cooler via a heatpipe that goes from one to the other. A custom Southbridge cooler needed to be fabricated, so I took one from another motherboard that made the cooling for the Southbridge active.
The next hurdle came in the temperature monitor; NVIDIA has started that their internal thermal probe has some issues with giving accurate readings. To solve this problem I placed a thermal probe on the side of the MCP chip to get an accurate reading from the SPP.
The Coolink ChipChilla does a very good job at cooling the Northbridge, a large improvement over the stock cooler. In most cases, the rule is that the cooler you can keep a chip, the faster you are able to run it.
My biggest complaint for the Reference SPP Cooler is that it is without a doubt the loudest fan in my gaming computer. The ChipChilla is much quieter; it is actually so quiet that I had a difficult time getting an accurate reading since the stock NVIDIA 8800 GTX cooler was louder than the ChipChilla.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Cooler]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rocket League Autumn Update available September 28
- Synology introduces new XS, Value and Series NAS
- ASUS introduce the ROG Strix Fusion 300 gaming headset
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 launch nearly didn't happen
- Thieves rob van full of Total War: Warhammer 2 CE's
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- Permanent Fix for Beebox Wifi Design Flaws
- ASUS H97-Plus Various Boot Issues
- Transcend StoreJet 25C3N 1TB Portable HDD Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower