As of late we have started to see a huge jump in not only the speeds of 2.5" hard disks for notebooks and server farms, but also in regards to capacities; sizes that were once impossible for notebook drives above 160GB are now hitting the shelves, thanks to new storage technologies.
The first technology we have to thank is the Serial ATA interface which has made connecting drives to systems a lot easier with its simple 7-pin data connection. With such a small footprint for the data and power cables, notebooks and desktop PCs use the same interface, allowing you to connect a notebook HDD to a desktop if you so desire. While going the other way is pretty hard, it's not completely impossible. Secondly, the introduction of NCQ or Native Command Queuing which helps the hard disk search for data out of order is also a god send.
Moving to the increase in size, we have to thank Perpendicular Recording. Rather than placing the metal bits in a lateral arrangement, they are setup in a longitudinal arrangement allowing more bits to be stored in the same area.
Today we have Hitachi's 250GB Travelstar 5400RPM hard disk designed as an upgrade for notebooks or as an add-in for servers using 2.5" drives.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path of Exile 2019 roadmap detailed
- Microsoft calls Project xCloud its 'Netflix for games'
- Blizzard hiring 17 devs for new Diablo game
- Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed on PS4, Xbox One
- Ronda Rousey will voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media