With the package out the way it's time to move straight onto the more important things, like the card! The card's long! That's to be expected though considering there's two cores on board. The cooler takes up the whole front of the card and there really isn't much else to it.
MSI have of course made the card look like it's from them with some well placed stickers over the card.
Turning the card over we can clearly see where the two cores are placed. The memory also sits on the back of the card and the reference cooler design has plates that cover it. We're not really sure if it's necessary or not, but as long as the cooler does a decent job of keeping the card's temperature levels well controlled then that's the main thing.
Moving to the front again we can see we have two power connectors. One is a 6-pin connector while the other is an 8-pin. The 8-pin is generally quite annoying as a lot of power supplies don't have the connector for them. Fortunately MSI have chosen to include a 6-pin to 8-pin connector to help with this issue however.
As we travel across the top of the card we can see the heatsink for the cores extends all the way to the top of the card.
Continuing across the top of the card we can see a single Crossfire connector. This is the first time we've seen a single Crossfire connector as opposed to the typical dual design. Word was that the dual design was due to the patent NVIDIA had on the SLI connector and single design, so it's interesting to see AMD use a single one in this case.
The I/O department really looks like your standard HD 3870 with just two Dual Link DVI connectors and a simple TV-Out port. We've seen some companies opt for a quad Dual Link DVI design but at the moment it seems that it's only present on cards that use a custom cooling solution which doesn't go all the way to the front of the card.
MSI have decided to spice up the clocks on their card a little bit, bumping up the core in this case.
The default clock on the core is 800MHz but MSI have bumped this up to 860MHz. The 1GB of GDDR3 memory though remains at the same 1800MHz DDR. You can see below the exact details on the card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo reveal Diablo III: Eternal Collection Switch bundle
- Black Ops 4 physical sales down 50% compared WWII
- Mega Man 11 only had around 40 developers in the team
- Fortnite leak showcases a soon to be released gifting system
- A re-introduction into Old School RuneScape: New/Old players
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon