The absolute worst thing about the 8800GT is the name. It's confusing as all buggery. It's bad enough that people think 512MB 8600GTS cards are faster than 320MB 8800GTS', but what's going to happen now that the 8800GT is faster than the 8800GTS? There will no doubt be a lot of people correcting each other as they try to buy a more expensive 8800GTS.
Speaking of price, while we don't have anything official we should see it retail for around $250USD / $350AUD depending on the brand and bundle.
While the package didn't do a whole lot for us, the overclock is nice and really seems to help make it that little bit better and extend its lead over everything else in the price bracket.
The bad news is that it's a real kick in the pants for people who have just recently bought an 8800GTS. While knowing that the GT was coming we run into the name problem again where people think that it's going to be slower. This is completely understandable as well with NVIDIA offering an 8600GT that is slower than the 8600GTS.
Performance....it's great and a lot better than we thought. It also doesn't look like they're going to do an AMD with press samples only, as we have heard that ASUS, BFG Tech, MSI, Inno3D and Palit are all due into Australia as early as Monday.
This model is probably a bit of a core dump so NVIDIA are ready to ramp up production of their new cards due out later this year, but this isn't something you would complain about. It allows people to turn around and pick up a high performance DirectX 10 offering without breaking the bank, and with the anticipated Crysis just around the corner this could be the card to get.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode One HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Prey]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - Vista]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Call of Juarez (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes (DX10) - Vista]
- Page 15 [High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- China sprouts the first life ever made on the Moons surface
- Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch & GameBoy comparison video
- Apex Legends mods have banned over 16,000 cheaters so far
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage