There is simply no denying it, external storage is here and it's not going to go anywhere soon. The days of having 12+ drives in a single case are over. Not only does it take a huge amount of connectors that the PC doesn't have, but also adds to the amount of heat inside the case.
Hard Disks run quite warm, Western Digital's 10,000RPM Raptors run extremely hot in fact; that's why they have vents on the drive itself. External enclosures add no extra heat to the case, there is no cramping inside the case with extra drives, as you can simply sit it on your desktop or beside the PC, depending on what you prefer. Most drives use a USB interface, which is good for a basic storage system. Movies can be streamed to one or two PCs over a network using USB, but anymore than that you're going to need Firewire or eSATA.
Since the eSATA interface made its debut we have been extremely excited about this interface. Using the SATA transition protocol means it can run at 3Gbps outside of the case, making it as fast as the internal drive in fact. This is something that USB or Firewire can never hope to achieve.
Seagate's Freeagent pro drive is a definite must have if you're into large capacity storage. The drive sizes range from 320GB all the way to 750GB and soon Seagate will add a 1TB drive into the line up; and with the flexible option of the interface protocol and upgradeability to a new protocol in the future, along with its impressive performance scores, this is a hard product to go past.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Shazam's first trailer injects fun, and color into the DCEU
- DC unleashes first Aquaman trailer during SDCC 2018
- GeForce GTX 1170 benchmark surfaces, faster than GTX 1080 Ti
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Z97X-SLI doesn't recognize NVME-SSD
- Design a Colorful SSD contest
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit