There is simply no denying it, external storage is here and it's not going to go anywhere soon. The days of having 12+ drives in a single case are over. Not only does it take a huge amount of connectors that the PC doesn't have, but also adds to the amount of heat inside the case.
Hard Disks run quite warm, Western Digital's 10,000RPM Raptors run extremely hot in fact; that's why they have vents on the drive itself. External enclosures add no extra heat to the case, there is no cramping inside the case with extra drives, as you can simply sit it on your desktop or beside the PC, depending on what you prefer. Most drives use a USB interface, which is good for a basic storage system. Movies can be streamed to one or two PCs over a network using USB, but anymore than that you're going to need Firewire or eSATA.
Since the eSATA interface made its debut we have been extremely excited about this interface. Using the SATA transition protocol means it can run at 3Gbps outside of the case, making it as fast as the internal drive in fact. This is something that USB or Firewire can never hope to achieve.
Seagate's Freeagent pro drive is a definite must have if you're into large capacity storage. The drive sizes range from 320GB all the way to 750GB and soon Seagate will add a 1TB drive into the line up; and with the flexible option of the interface protocol and upgradeability to a new protocol in the future, along with its impressive performance scores, this is a hard product to go past.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get caught up in 'Girl in the Spider's Web' Blu-ray giveaway
- Activision: Destiny was tying up our resources
- Activision cut jobs to focus on monetization as well as dev
- Anthem's epic skins cost $8.50 a piece
- Crackdown 3 only exists to sell Game Pass subscriptions
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases