There is simply no denying it, external storage is here and it's not going to go anywhere soon. The days of having 12+ drives in a single case are over. Not only does it take a huge amount of connectors that the PC doesn't have, but also adds to the amount of heat inside the case.
Hard Disks run quite warm, Western Digital's 10,000RPM Raptors run extremely hot in fact; that's why they have vents on the drive itself. External enclosures add no extra heat to the case, there is no cramping inside the case with extra drives, as you can simply sit it on your desktop or beside the PC, depending on what you prefer. Most drives use a USB interface, which is good for a basic storage system. Movies can be streamed to one or two PCs over a network using USB, but anymore than that you're going to need Firewire or eSATA.
Since the eSATA interface made its debut we have been extremely excited about this interface. Using the SATA transition protocol means it can run at 3Gbps outside of the case, making it as fast as the internal drive in fact. This is something that USB or Firewire can never hope to achieve.
Seagate's Freeagent pro drive is a definite must have if you're into large capacity storage. The drive sizes range from 320GB all the way to 750GB and soon Seagate will add a 1TB drive into the line up; and with the flexible option of the interface protocol and upgradeability to a new protocol in the future, along with its impressive performance scores, this is a hard product to go past.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Seagate announce its new Enterprise Datasphere Fleet
- Warhammer: Vermintide 2 gameplay trailer released
- NZXT introduce the GRID+ V3 fan controller
- Seagate introduce Seagate Secure security features
- NZXT announce their all-new H Series cases
- ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat
- ASUS Battery Health Charging - windows 10 
- EK Fluid Gaming: Water-Cooled Gaming PC Build Guide
- Thecus® N2350 & N4350 the most affordable Home NAS series now available worldwide
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce GTX 1080 Vulcan X OC Review
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz