Test System Setup
Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.33GHz (366MHz x 9 and FSB 1:1)
Motherboard(s): Abit IN9 32X-MAX Wi-Fi (Supplied by Universal Abit)
Memory: 2 X 1GB Crucial PC8000 5-5-5-15 (Supplied by Crucial)
Hard Disk(s): Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA 2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Drivers: Nvidia ForceWare 158.16, ATI Catalyst 7.4 and DX9c
With a GeForce 8600GTS in hand which should be priced similar to the SCS variant of the X1950PRO, it was time to get our test on.
We say "should" due to the fact that the SCS version of the X1950PRO is currently not available in Australia, the average X1950PRO 256MB is around AU$230 and the 8600GTS is closer to AU$260 so adding another AU$30 to a standard X1950PRO should cover our bases for the new heatsink and fan.
With the card being mid-range we tested up to 1920 x 1200 along with 1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1024. F.E.A.R. runs at 1152 x 864 instead of 1280 x 1024 and 3DMark05 runs at its default 1024 x 768 resolution instead of 1280 x 1024.
Well let us not ramble on anymore and find out how the SCS3 X1950PRO from PowerColor fairs against the 8600GTS from Palit today.
Version and / or Patch Used: Build 130
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark05/
3DMark05 is now the second latest version in the popular 3DMark "Gamers Benchmark" series. It includes a complete set of DX9 benchmarks which tests Shader Model 2.0 and above.
For more information on the 3DMark05 benchmark, we recommend you read our preview here.
We can see that at the lower resolution the new 8600GTS has a considerable lead but as soon as we start placing more pressure on the graphics cards the tides turn and we see the X1950PRO sneak ahead in both of our higher resolution tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr brings dragons back to Tamriel
- EA cancels new Star Wars game, disrupts release timeline
- New Evil Dead game still happening
- Digital-only Xbox One may have pre-loaded services, games
- Xbox Game Pass is wildly successful
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Comparison of directory opus and xyplorer
- Z390 Taichi Error Code 99 and A2
- The Silent Guardian: Antec present new Quiet Computing P101 Silent
- A Hero's Journey - Latest Total War: Three Kingdoms Cinematic Showcases A Jaw-Dropping China
- Pre-Order Metro Exodus From Any Physical Retailer To Secure An Exclusive Poster
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment An IO Interactive Launch Hitman HD Enhanced Collection
- Acer Debuts All-New Swift 7 with Compact Design and Incredible Screen-to-body Ratio