OK...Here's what we've been waiting for. BENCHMARKS! Now that we know what to expect on the inside of the box, let's take a look at what the video card itself can really do. After all, isn't this why we're looking at getting a new GeForce3 anyway?
The Test System
AMD Thunderbird 1000 @ 1333MHz
256MB Crucial PC-133 CAS2 SDRAM
IBM 60GXP 40GB Hard Drive
Hitachi CM814 21" Monitor
VIA 4-in-1 drivers v4.33
nVidia Detonator v12.90
- Standard settings
- All tests run
- Standard settings
- All tests run
Quake III Arena
- v1.11 with Demo001
- v1.29h with VIA Demo
Quake III Arena testing was done with these settings:
- GL Extensions: On
- Full Screen: On
- Lighting: Lightmap
- Geometric Detail: Slider bar set to MAX
- Texture Quality: 32 bit
- Texture Filter: Tri-Linear
- All "Eye Candy" enabled
WOW! Nearly hit the 10,000 mark on this pass. Something to consider is that these tests were run on a fresh install of Windows with no optimizations done to tweak the system. With a little work, this card should be able to handily knock down that 10k barrier.
For comparison sake, the same system with a GeForce2 MX400 card scored 5317, and a GeForce2 GTS card scored 7152. Talk about getting better performance!
I am beginning to see why everyone raves about the GeForce3 series of cards. Over 6000 on a system that hasn't been tweaked is awesome! And the opportunity to finally see those elusive missing tests makes it a sight to behold. While I can't recommend buying a GeForce3 board just to see these scenes, if you get one, you WILL be impressed.
Comparison time again...GeForce2 MX400 scored 1709 on this system, and a GeForce2 GTS scored 3078. Nearly double the score and the only difference is the video card. Way to go Prolink!
- Quake III Arena
While I was surprised at the closeness of the FPS rates in the low resolution areas, I was amazed at the nearly 60 FPS that I got at 1600x1200 using 32 bit color depth. And since this is an average FPS rate, we're talking a very playable rate at this massive resolution.
I also ran the VIA Demo test to see how it would handle the very high polygon counts that occur with that particular map. The results were 43.5 FPS when run at 1024x768x32 and all the settings set to MAX. 30 FPS under these conditions is considered a good score, and this card was able to break right through that range. This is quite an impressive accomplishment!
Editor's Note: If you would like to run this demo yourself, it is available for download on our "Files" page. Feel free to see how well your own system handles the stress. =)
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- IBM's Watson AI might be coming to a game near you
- Sonic movie set for 2019
- Xbox saves work with Final Fantasy XV on PC
- Luigi's Balloon World/new outfits for Super Mario Odyssey
- Nintendo Switch adds another 18 new games in a week
- GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming K3 (Intel Z370) Motherboard
- Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Reeven NAIA 240 CPU Cooler Review
- For Sale 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 8 64GB Brand New Unlocked $2,795
- Ryzen (1000-Series) Overclocking Guide
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit