ASUS constantly comes out with new motherboards for their portfolio and its clear why - ASUS keeps improving on their designs and without a doubt the "Republic of Gamers" Commando motherboard shows the most promise for their Core 2 line up and is one of the best Socket 775 motherboards we have ever tested.
While we managed a stunning and very stable result of 507MHz FSB through the ASUS "Extreme Tweaker" BIOS, with more time and a better cooling setup, we are sure you could go well beyond that mark. In fact, we even managed to load Windows at 515MHz FSB but as soon as we tried loading anything, it would crash and hard lock. It took 507Mhz to make it fully stable to run our benchmarks, 510Mhz did look promising, but BSOD's kept us from getting this far.
The price factor is one thing that might put some people off. In Australia, the Commando is about $80 AUD (or roughly $65 USD) more expensive than the Gigabyte DQ6. With the DQ6's extra features on offer, you may want to go for that option rather than the slightly cut down ASUS Commando, which offers a higher attainable FSB in comparison.
Having said that, if you're after huge FSB potential, you're probably better looking at DFI's RD600 motherboard, which was able to hit over 510MHz FSB during our testing. And it's important to remember that Gigabyte has just launched v3.3 of their DQ6 motherboard - it will be interesting to see if we are able to attain a higher overclock than previous versions, testing will begin shortly.
Overall though we were very impressed with the power, overclocking and features of the ASUS Commando, it is a very good and extremely well thought out product. It will make an absolutely stunning platform for a gaming system (as long as you aren't looking for nVidia SLI support) with loads of performance, style and class. We have no hesitation in giving it our Best Performance Award although research before buying as you might be able to buy something, which is better value for money, depending on your requirements.
Highest FSB overclock on any P965 motherboard we have tested
Supports all current Intel processors (including Quad Core)
Clearly well designed for gamers and overclockers
Silent and effective heat pipe cooling
Good quality audio and support
AMD Crossfire dual graphics
Great package including a full version game and 3DMark06
LCD Poster for error detection
Onboard power switch and Q-Connector makes life easier
Lacks some features such as e.SATA
Limited to old PCI for expansion
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package]
- Page 4 [Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Everest]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - WorldBench]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts ]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch could feature Xbox Games Pass by end of 2019
- Did Blizzard just tease the 30th hero for Overwatch?
- Overclockers UK unveils $43,000 gaming PC: 8Pack Orion X2
- NZXT releases Overwatch-themed H500 PC gaming chassis
- NVIDIA reportedly launching GeForce GTX 1650 next month
- Intrusive Ads on Tweaktown
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Kensington LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Compatibility issue P10S-M-DC with i5
- Rise of Industry Gets May 2nd Release Date!
- Pixel Noir will debut on Steam Early Access. SWDTech retro RPG will be released on the Steam system during the first week of April
- Pull Your Devil Trigger With Sinful New Devil May Cry 5 Range
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Reveals New Ranger Class Trailer for Upcoming Action MMORPG, Bless Unleashed
- Explore the Latest Map & Music from Team Sonic Racing