Foxconn really did not choose the best chipset, if they were looking for a fast performing motherboard. VIA has fallen by the wayside ever since nVidia's nForce 2 chipset made its presence felt and they really haven't recovered since.
The one saving grace this product is its price. It is very cheap compared to that of the nVidia nForce 5 series chipset, making it the choice for budget users who are thinking Sempron on AM2 and want a simple and cheap system. As this is the case, for this market segment, Foxconn will probably sell a lot of these boards. This might be the direction VIA is headed for their chipset business from now on but we do hope they come out with new chipsets which overclock and offer good performance.
Overclocking performance on this board was not impressive and with K8 you can get plenty more out of the CPU. It was simply the VIA chipset holding this thing back - so no points gained here. And the use of the older SATA gen 1 supporting Southbridge also is a disappointment.
Overall we would only recommend the Foxconn K8T890M2AA-KRS2H motherboard if you are looking to build a cheap, no thrills computer - in this area, it is actually quite good! On the other hand, if you're looking for gaming motherboard or overclocking or performance, simply turn away and pick a different motherboard, which costs more money!
Does overclock but not much
Good and simple layout
Uses slower Gen 1 SATA Southbridge
Only two SATA ports
No HD audio
Very basic package and features
Performance is nothing to get excited about
Rating - 7 out to 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package and Contents]
- Page 4 [Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premier Elements]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pornhub traffic hardens when YouTube went limp during crash
- Darksiders III will be around 15+ of gameplay, HDR supported
- Rocket League to go 4K/60FPS on Xbox One X, likely crossplay
- SEGA announces Sonic franchise has shipped 800 million units
- Dynasty Warriors 8 hacks n' slashes its way onto the Switch
- SIV Smart Fan 5 on X399 platforms ... a mess.
- Latest z370 taichi bios is not stable no matter what I do.
- Inland Processional 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Gen 3 Review
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam