Foxconn really did not choose the best chipset, if they were looking for a fast performing motherboard. VIA has fallen by the wayside ever since nVidia's nForce 2 chipset made its presence felt and they really haven't recovered since.
The one saving grace this product is its price. It is very cheap compared to that of the nVidia nForce 5 series chipset, making it the choice for budget users who are thinking Sempron on AM2 and want a simple and cheap system. As this is the case, for this market segment, Foxconn will probably sell a lot of these boards. This might be the direction VIA is headed for their chipset business from now on but we do hope they come out with new chipsets which overclock and offer good performance.
Overclocking performance on this board was not impressive and with K8 you can get plenty more out of the CPU. It was simply the VIA chipset holding this thing back - so no points gained here. And the use of the older SATA gen 1 supporting Southbridge also is a disappointment.
Overall we would only recommend the Foxconn K8T890M2AA-KRS2H motherboard if you are looking to build a cheap, no thrills computer - in this area, it is actually quite good! On the other hand, if you're looking for gaming motherboard or overclocking or performance, simply turn away and pick a different motherboard, which costs more money!
Does overclock but not much
Good and simple layout
Uses slower Gen 1 SATA Southbridge
Only two SATA ports
No HD audio
Very basic package and features
Performance is nothing to get excited about
Rating - 7 out to 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package and Contents]
- Page 4 [Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premier Elements]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo to miss 20 million Switch sales, analysts predict
- Decidueye was considered for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- If Anthem's cosmetics fail, paid expansions are likely
- The Divison 2 story sets U.S. capital aflame with chaos
- Lords of the Fallen devs open indie publishing label
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019