Micron Technology, Inc., (NASDAQ: MU) today announced results of operations for its first quarter of fiscal 2013, which ended November 29, 2012. For the first quarter, the company had a net loss attributable to Micron shareholders of $275 million, or $0.27 per diluted share, on net sales of $1.8 billion. The results for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 compare to a net loss of $243 million, or $0.24 per diluted share, on net sales of $2.0 billion for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, and a net loss of $187 million, or $0.19 per diluted share, on net sales of $2.1 billion for the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
Revenues from sales of NAND Flash products were 4 percent lower in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 compared to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, due to a 9 percent decrease in sales volume, partially offset by a 5 percent increase in average selling prices. Trade NAND Flash sales volume in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 decreased compared to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 primarily as a result of lower production of NAND Flash products. Revenues from sales of DRAM products in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 were 9 percent lower compared to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 primarily due to an 11 percent decrease in average selling prices. Sales of NOR Flash products were relatively unchanged for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 compared to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012.
The company's consolidated gross margin of 12 percent in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 was up slightly from 11 percent in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012. Improvements in margin from sales of NAND Flash and NOR Flash products were offset by slight declines in margins from sales of DRAM products.
Cash flows from operations for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 were $236 million. During the first quarter of fiscal 2013, the company invested $538 million in capital expenditures and ended the quarter with cash and investments of $2.8 billion.
The company will host a conference call Thursday, December 20 at 2:30 p.m. MST to discuss its financial results. The call, audio and slides will be available online at http://investors.micron.com/events.cfm. A webcast replay will be available on the company's website until December 27, 2013. A taped audio replay of the conference call will also be available at (404) 537-3406 (conference number: 79770323) beginning at 5:30 p.m. MST, Thursday, December 20, 2012 and continuing until 5:30 p.m. MST, Thursday, December 27, 2012.
Other operating (income) expense included losses of $62 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 and gains of $9 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 from changes in the market value of the company's yen currency hedges executed in connection with its planned acquisition of Elpida Memory, Inc. In addition, other operating income in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 included a gain of $25 million resulting from the termination by the company's Transform Solar joint venture of a lease to a portion of the company's manufacturing facilities in Boise, Idaho.
(2) Income taxes for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 included a tax benefit of $14 million related to the favorable resolution of certain prior year tax matters. Remaining taxes in fiscal 2013 and 2012 primarily reflected taxes on the company's non-U.S. operations. The company has a valuation allowance for its net deferred tax asset associated with its U.S. operations. Taxes attributable to the company's U.S. operations in fiscal 2013 and 2012 were substantially offset by changes in the valuation allowance.
(3) During the first quarter of fiscal 2013, the company entered into two credit facilities. The first was a revolving credit facility providing for borrowings of up to $255 million. Amounts drawn under the facility would be collateralized by certain accounts receivable. As of the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2013, no amounts had been drawn under the facility. The second was a term note providing for borrowings of up to $214 million. Amounts drawn under the facility are collateralized by semiconductor production equipment. As of the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2013, the balance outstanding under the note was $173 million.
Latest News Posts
- NZXT introduce the GRID+ V3 fan controller
- Seagate introduce Seagate Secure security features
- NZXT announce their all-new H Series cases
- Why EA closed Visceral and recycled its Star Wars game
- Team Fortress 2 blends with Jurassic Park in new update
- ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat
- ASUS Battery Health Charging - windows 10 
- EK Fluid Gaming: Water-Cooled Gaming PC Build Guide
- Thecus® N2350 & N4350 the most affordable Home NAS series now available worldwide
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce GTX 1080 Vulcan X OC Review
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz