AMD Opteron¬ô 6200 Series processor named a "Top New Product to Watch" for 2012; chosen to power the National Science Foundation's Blue Waters project
SC11, SEATTLE -11/15/2011
At Supercomputing 2011, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that its new AMD Opteron¬ô 6200 Series processor has been selected by the editors and readers of HPCwire as one of the top five new products to watch for 2012, and will power the National Science Foundation's Blue Waters project at The University of Illinois' National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA). In addition, AMD is prominently featured in the latest bi-annual TOP500 Supercomputers list for deploying more than two million AMD Opteron cores to many of the world's fastest supercomputers across 14 countries.
"The world's most technically savvy minds have recognized the price-performance advantages AMD has to offer the HPC community as evident by the Blue Waters supercomputer deployment and the HPCwire Readers' and Editors' Choice Awards," said Paul Struhsaker, corporate vice president and general manager, Commercial Business at AMD. "The HPC community demands scalable and strong floating point performance, high memory throughput and more cores for highly-threaded applications. It's these exact requirements that helped influence the design of the new AMD Opteron processors."
With more than 235 Cray (Nasdaq: CRAY) XE6 cabinets based on nearly 50,000 AMD Opteron 6200 Series processors, the Blue Waters supercomputer is expected to deliver sustained performance of more than one petaflops and achieve breakthroughs to model a broad range of phenomena including: the evolution of the universe since the Big Bang, the formation of tornadoes, the mechanism by which viruses enter cells, and many more science and engineering applications.
The 16-core AMD Opteron 6200 Series processors are already powering several of the fastest HPC systems in the TOP500 list, including the fastest supercomputers in Germany, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. The new processors deliver unparalleled performance, scalability and efficiency with more cores than the previous generation for handling more threads per node, new technical instructions including AVX, FMA4 and XOP, significant memory enhancements, a new Flex FP for 256-bit floating point processing and additional features designed for HPC. Overall, AMD solutions are in 64 of the world's top 500 supercomputers. To learn more about the new AMD Opteron 6200 Series processor and the myriad of AMD solutions for HPC, visit https://www.amd.com/hpc.
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Fusion Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Intel Core i9-9900K rumor: 8C/16T at a huge 5.5GHz on Aug 1
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole DLC release date unveil
- 1 hour of gameplay footage released for Forza Horizon 4
- VirtualLink: next-gen VR over a single USB Type-C cable
- World of Warcraft expansions, now only a $15 subscription
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Asrock X399 + Watercooling help needed please
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit