SUNNYVALE, Calif. -6/7/2011
Since the launch of the AMD OpteronÂ™ 6000 Series platform in 2010, AMD (NYSE: AMD) has continued to work with its OEM and channel partners to add to the platform's portfolio. The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform's virtualization muscle has been noted in products such as the award-winning Dell PowerEdge R815 and the HP ProLiant DL585 G7. The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform's compatibility with the next generation 16-core processor, codenamed "Interlagos," has gained the attention of customers in the early adopting world of high performance computing.
"Our partners continue to offer great examples of how the AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform can deliver superior virtualization within an impressive power and thermal footprint," said Patrick Patla, vice president and general manager, Server and Embedded Business, AMD. "The AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform offers budget conscious IT managers performance and value today and the promise of a future 16-core drop-in upgrade."
AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform-based systems powered by AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors are available from OEMs and system builders including Acer, AMAX, Appro, Colfax, Cray Inc., Dawning, Dell, HP, IBM, Microway, NCS Technologies, Penguin, Rausch Netzwerktechnik, SGI, Silicon Mechanics, ZT Systems and more. In the past few months, new systems have been introduced by these partners, including:
- Acer GR385, Acer GR585, Gateway GW 2000h
- AMAX AH-1103 appliance
- Cray XE6m supercomputer
- Dell PowerEdge C6145, Dell PowerEdge M915
- HP ProLiant SL165s
- NCS NexServ ARM-6241
- SGI Altix Â® Ice 8400
- Silicon Mechanics: Storform nServ A513, A515, A516, A518
Customer Demand for Core-Rich Systems
- HECToR, the UK's national supercomputing service, is upgrading all of the supercomputer's processors to the soon-to-be-released AMD Opteron processors codenamed "Interlagos." Cray will implement the expansion and upgrade later this year.
- Cray has signed a contract with the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS) to upgrade its current Cray XT5 system, nicknamed "Monte Rosa" to a Cray XE6 system. The Monte Rosa system at CSCS will be upgraded with Cray's Gemini system interconnect and the soon-to-be-released AMD Opteron processors codenamed "Interlagos."
- Idaho National Labs has announced that their "Fission" supercomputer is based on 12,512 AMD Opteron cores in an Appro Xtreme-XÂ™ Supercomputer, allowing the energy research lab to more quickly and accurately model projects like 3D nuclear reactor rods.
- Cray unveils new GPU-based system - the Cray XK6 supercomputer: The soon-to-be-released AMD Opteron processors, codenamed "Interlagos", will be part of a tightly-integrated supercomputing system upgradeable to more than 50 petaflops (quadrillions of operations/second) of compute power.
- The Astronomy Department of the University of SĂŁo Paulo has selected the SGIÂ® AltixÂ® ICE 8400 for its high performance computing (HPC) system to enable advanced scientific astronomical research in Brazil. The SGIÂ® AltixÂ® ICE 8400 will contain AMD OpteronÂ™ 6100 Series processors.
Recent Benchmarks and Awards
- VMmark 2.0 Score: The HP ProLiant DL585 G7, based on the AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors, has a score of 9.91 @ 13 tiles.
â—¦ DL585 G7 VMmark 2.0 entry available here: http://www.vmware.com/a/assets/vmmark/pdf/2011-03-08-HP-DL585G7.pdf
â—¦ Posted VMmark 2.0 scores can be found here: http://www.vmware.com/a/vmmark/
- Dell PowerEdge C6145, based on the AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors: The World's Highest Performing 2U Server1
- The SmallBizWindows Server of the Year 2010: HP ProLiant DL385 G7
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Fusion Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- Gaming video to make $4.6 billion in 2017
- Star Wars: Battlefront II campaign will be robust
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard