New AMD Opteron¬ô 4000 Series Platform is the First Designed for Unique Needs of Cloud and Hyperscale Data Centers
World's lowest power-per-core1 server processor offers exceptional cost efficiency, platform flexibility
Available with extended longevity for embedded systems
SAN FRANCISCO -6/23/2010
At the GigaOm Structure Cloud Computing and Internet Infrastructure conference, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced availability of the new AMD Opteron¬ô 4000 Series platform. This is the first server platform designed from the beginning to meet the specific requirements of cloud, hyperscale data center, and SMB customers needing highly flexible, reliable, and power-efficient 1 and 2P systems. This platform is also available for high-end embedded systems such as telecom servers, storage, and digital signage, through AMD Embedded Solutions. Systems from Acer Group, Dell, HP, SGI, Supermicro, ZT Systems, and numerous other channel partners are expected beginning today and in the coming months.
"Until now, customers wanting to build a dense and power-efficient cloud or hyperscale data center had to shoehorn expensive, higher-end solutions into their computing environment, or they had to choose low-power client-based designs that may not have offered the right level of performance and server functionality," said Patrick Patla, corporate vice president and general manager, Server and Embedded Division, AMD. "With the AMD Opteron 4000 Series platform, these customers now have a server platform that is extremely power- and cost-efficient, allows a high degree of customization, and is also an ideal solution for high-end embedded systems."
- Power remains the number one concern in the data center2. The AMD Opteron 4000 Series platform offers four- and six-core performance at less than 6W per core¬Ļ, reduces power up to 24% over the previous generation3, and allows more than double the servers within the same power budget as previous generation platforms3.
- The current business climate means many customers must look closely at capital expenditures and re-evaluate IT budgets. In addition to on-going savings associated with ultra power-efficient platforms, the AMD Opteron 4100 Series processor offers price points as low as $99 and is a no-compromise, trusted server-class processor with full feature sets.
- The AMD Opteron 4100 Series processor is ideal for custom-designed servers because it allows for smaller heat sinks, power supplies, and fans, as well as low voltage memory to help improve power efficiency. Depending on how the system will be used, customization also allows unnecessary, power-consuming features to be eliminated, further driving cost and power efficiency.
- This platform is available with embedded industry-standard 5+2 years longevity and provides the power, price, and performance balance required for high-end, commercial-class embedded systems with specific target markets and long product life cycles.
- While highly flexible, the AMD Opteron 4000 Series platform is chipset-consistent with the 8- and 12-core AMD Opteron 6000 Series platform and is planned to support the new "Bulldozer" core, planned for 2011.
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- Games industry may make $170 billion in 2018, firm predicts
- GIGABYTE release new Gemini Lake based J/N motherboards
- God of War director confirms no season pass for the release
- Trailer for Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition released
- COLORFUL's new CGU 2018 eSports event might include PUBG
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Z270 Extreme 4 post issue
- NVIDIA's next-gen TITAN X should rock 16GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series