Industry's First Sub-$100 Quad-Core CPU Powers New AMD Mainstream Desktop Platforms: Multimedia Entertainment is More Affordable than Ever
Designed as the optimal balance of CPU performance and graphics excellence, this AMD platform is designed to take advantage of new Windows 7 enhancement
SUNNYVALE, Calif. --9/16/2009
As part of the new desktop platform designed for mainstream consumers, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the first ever quad-core processor for less than $100 Suggested System Builder Price (SSBP). By balancing the power of new AMD Athlon II X4 quad-core processors and the AMD 785G chipset featuring ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics, AMD delivers smooth HD visuals2 and the foundation for a great Windows 7 experience.
When matched against similarly priced competitive processors, the AMD Athlon II X4 620 processor delivers superior multitasking performance allowing mainstream users to do more in less time, for less money3.
The AMD Mainstream Desktop Platform leverages AMD software to help enhance the overall experience. ATI Stream technology, for example, enables hardware acceleration that can speed HD video conversion-time so content can be ready faster for use on-the-go.
Combining the efficiency of 45nm processors and this platform's built-in power management technologies for a cool and quiet PC, an AMD Athlon II processor-based platform can serve-up an amazing Blu-ray movie experience using less energy than a standard 75 watt light bulb4.
This platform also can improve business users' experience as part of AMD Business Class technology. With this second generation commercial platform, AMD industry partners can offer a variety of form factors with superior value, exceptional energy efficiency, advanced visual productivity. This platform also has support for essential manageability, security and virtualization features that today's businesses demand.
"Our goal is to deliver a great computing experience and maximize value for our customers," said John Cook, vice president of marketing, global PC business, HP. "The new AMD quad-core processors offer the right balance between excellent performance and price, and allow HP to continue to be a best-in-class provider of consumer technology."
"Designed with customer needs in mind, Windows 7 simplifies and improves the computing experience," said Mike Ybarra, general manager of Windows Product Management at Microsoft Corp. "The introduction of the new AMD Mainstream Desktop Platform coupled with Windows 7, allows end users to enjoy their digital entertainment with a faster, higher performing experience at an attractive price point."
Get more information on the new AMD Mainstream Desktop Platform including pricing, images, partner support and more - press kit
Check out this video to see why new AMD platforms deliver a solid foundation for Windows 7
Go here for more information on AMD Business Class and this new commercial desktop platform
Follow AMD Desktop news on Twitter at @AMDDesktop
More information on HP desktop PCs featuring AMD technology
See more about AMD's alliance with Microsoft here
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit