Industry's First Sub-$100 Quad-Core CPU Powers New AMD Mainstream Desktop Platforms: Multimedia Entertainment is More Affordable than Ever
Designed as the optimal balance of CPU performance and graphics excellence, this AMD platform is designed to take advantage of new Windows 7 enhancement
SUNNYVALE, Calif. --9/16/2009
As part of the new desktop platform designed for mainstream consumers, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the first ever quad-core processor for less than $100 Suggested System Builder Price (SSBP). By balancing the power of new AMD Athlon II X4 quad-core processors and the AMD 785G chipset featuring ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics, AMD delivers smooth HD visuals2 and the foundation for a great Windows 7 experience.
When matched against similarly priced competitive processors, the AMD Athlon II X4 620 processor delivers superior multitasking performance allowing mainstream users to do more in less time, for less money3.
The AMD Mainstream Desktop Platform leverages AMD software to help enhance the overall experience. ATI Stream technology, for example, enables hardware acceleration that can speed HD video conversion-time so content can be ready faster for use on-the-go.
Combining the efficiency of 45nm processors and this platform's built-in power management technologies for a cool and quiet PC, an AMD Athlon II processor-based platform can serve-up an amazing Blu-ray movie experience using less energy than a standard 75 watt light bulb4.
This platform also can improve business users' experience as part of AMD Business Class technology. With this second generation commercial platform, AMD industry partners can offer a variety of form factors with superior value, exceptional energy efficiency, advanced visual productivity. This platform also has support for essential manageability, security and virtualization features that today's businesses demand.
"Our goal is to deliver a great computing experience and maximize value for our customers," said John Cook, vice president of marketing, global PC business, HP. "The new AMD quad-core processors offer the right balance between excellent performance and price, and allow HP to continue to be a best-in-class provider of consumer technology."
"Designed with customer needs in mind, Windows 7 simplifies and improves the computing experience," said Mike Ybarra, general manager of Windows Product Management at Microsoft Corp. "The introduction of the new AMD Mainstream Desktop Platform coupled with Windows 7, allows end users to enjoy their digital entertainment with a faster, higher performing experience at an attractive price point."
Get more information on the new AMD Mainstream Desktop Platform including pricing, images, partner support and more - press kit
Check out this video to see why new AMD platforms deliver a solid foundation for Windows 7
Go here for more information on AMD Business Class and this new commercial desktop platform
Follow AMD Desktop news on Twitter at @AMDDesktop
More information on HP desktop PCs featuring AMD technology
See more about AMD's alliance with Microsoft here
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard