Less than a year after introducing innovative 3D NAND, the powerful memory technology that provides three times the capacity of competing storage solutions, Micron Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:MU) today announced the technology's availability in MLC and TLC product portfolios. The company also provided an update ecosystem enablement, production milestones, as well as its own 3D NAND SSD development.
Arrival of Micron's 3D NAND is well-timed with customer demand for greater storage capacity, improved performance and a better power profile-all of which are key attributes that system designers of laptops, mobile devices, and servers are requiring to meet today's rising data movement needs. According to Gartner, from 2014 to 2015, petabytes within the SSD storage market grew by 12 percent year over year . This significant industry growth is a direct result of the volume, velocity and variety of today's data creation and is driving the need for advanced architectures that are designed with 3D NAND as the storage foundation.
In addition to the growth of SSDs, data storage opportunities for NAND continue in embedded markets like automotive, industrial, mobile devices, and the Internet of Things overall. Acknowledging these customer demands, Micron is designing its own suite of client, hyperscale and mobile computing solutions based on 3D NAND. Immediately delivering on the new requirements for storage in the consumer market, Micron's 3D NAND-based client SSDs will be under general availability the first half of this year.
For all market segments, Micron expects the majority of its total NAND flash output to be on 3D NAND by the second half of 2016.
Partner Momentum and Technology Highlights
Architected to achieve industry-leading densities, Micron stacks 32 storage tiers to achieve the highest-capacity NAND die available today . With the proven capabilities of floating gate technology, early adopters have realized higher density, experienced better performance and reliability.
"Flash ubiquity is fundamental to future system design, and Micron is committed to enabling the market with our 3D NAND solutions" said Brian Shirley, vice president of Micron's memory technology and solutions. "We are prioritizing 3D NAND in our SSD portfolio and are collaborating with ecosystem enablers to deliver the cost-competitive and high-capacity storage solutions that will eventually render spinning media obsolete."
Building a solid set of ecosystem partners is fundamental to broad scale market adoption. For example, storing data in SSDs across consumer drives, laptop computers and the data center depends on controller development in addition to the 3D NAND. For hyperscale and enterprise drives, PMC is a key controller manufacturer.
"The enterprise and hyperscale markets are known to value reliability and high performance storage," said at PMC Sierra. "PMC Sierra's advanced controller development ensures quality 3D NAND designs for the next generation of data centers."
Promising data control and long battery life for high-capacity drives found in tomorrow's laptops, tablets and consumer devices, Silicon Motion has contributed client drive controller development.
"Consumers continue to expect higher capacity SSDs in smaller packages," said Wallace Kou, President and CEO at Silicon Motion. "We are excited in partnering with Micron in enabling client SSDs with 3D NAND using our high performance controllers. 3D NAND will help usher in a new era of high performance, high capacity, cost optimized client SSDs"
- Original Announcement: Micron and Intel Unveil New 3D NAND Flash Memory
- Overview of 3D NAND: The World's Highest-Capacity NAND Flash Memory
- Full 3D NAND Part Catalog: [Web team to provide link]
- Blog: https://www.micron.com/about/blogs
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/MicronStorage
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/micron-storage
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/microntechnology
Latest News Posts
- Capcom drop StreetFighter V trial on Mortal Kombat 11 debut
- Avengers meet Fortnite in upcoming collaboration on April 25
- Mortal Kombat 11 DLC leaked: Joker, Terminator, Spawn & more
- Mortal Kombat 11 official chilling 'Frost' gameplay trailer
- The next-gen Xbox will be even more powerful than the PS5
- Tesla Breaks Up With NVIDIA, Announces New Self-Driving Chip
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Preview
- What would work best for a 24/7 server type computer?
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Review
- How to booking a escort via internet
- SportDOG Brand YardTrainer 100 is the Affordable Tool for Basic Obedience Training
- Smartphones Could Cost You 40% More if You Don't Compare Prices
- LG SIGNATURE Presents Exquisite Art Installation At Milan Design Week 2019
- Purchasing Greeting Cards Just Got A Whole Lot Easier With The Card Isle Print-at-Home Platform
- TCL Communication launches its first Alcatel-branded smartphone on Verizon Wireless with the introduction of the Alcatel AVALON V