Ubisoft reveals tons of new details about its upcoming Assassin's Creed Mirage game that's coming in 2023.
Assassin's Creed Mirage is a true return to form. The game is a smaller experience--about the same size as AC Rogue--set in the more condensed city of Baghdad. Instead of featuring RPG elements that are meant to keep you playing for 100s of hours like Origins, Odyssey, or Valhalla, Mirage puts most of its emphasis on action and parkour and is more like the old classic AC games.
Mirage is more basic and it sounds all the better for it. Meant to be a stop-gap to fill in the empty space between Valhalla and the new Assassin's Creed Infinity platform, Mirage was originally a DLC that morphed into a full game. Gamers will play as Basim, the quickest and most agile assassin in the series, and take on challenging black box infiltration missions while also expanding the lore and exploring the exotic vibrancy of 9th century Baghdad.
Below we've collected some information that was provided to Gamestop at the Mirage reveal event:
"Mirage is going to be a condensed experience, It's a more focused game. The size of it is something like a Rogue or a Revelations, just to give you an idea of the scope," Assassin's Creed Mirage art director Jean-Luc Sala told Gamespot.
"We just thought it was time to bring some stuff back. Mirage is not the future of the franchise, it's not a side step, it's not backward. It's just that this is here, and you can enjoy it, so let's celebrate."
Assassin's Creed Mirage Info
- Massive emphasis on stealth and rogue combat - "If you are hit, you are hit. You are going to regret it really, really soon."
- Parkour movements are faster - Basim can't take much damage, but is much more limber, nimble, and agile than previous protagonists
- Multi-kill assassinations but it's "not something you can do all the time"
- Plenty of gadgets and skills" including new pole vaulting ability
- Lots of buildings can be entered and explored
- Black Box missions from Unity and Syndicate have returned, merged in part with Valhalla's Hidden One objectives
- They're going to be obviously full of enemies, so it's perhaps not a good idea to go straight in and try to reach your target. You need to be a little bit more stealthy and smart, take your time and look at what's happening before making decisions. There are multiple ways to take down your target."
- No present day segments
- Takes place in 850s Baghdad, 100 years before the formation of the Creed
- Not "too much science fiction stuff"
- Won't be historically accurate - the game will feature multiple anachronisms
- Is as dense as Paris in Assassin's Creed Unity - "We do have some small wilderness around"
- Is not a "remake" or a "reboot"
Assassin's Creed Mirage is coming 2023 to PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC.
THE ULTIMATE ASSASSIN
Parkour seamlessly through the city and leverage the largest assortment of tools to date, and stealthily take down targets with more visceral assassinations than ever before.
A POWERFUL COMING OF AGE STORY
Discover a narrative-driven action-adventure experience that follows the transformation of a defiant young man into a refined Master Assassin with a conflicted destiny.
A TRIBUTE TO AN ORIGINAL
Journey to Alamut, the legendary home of the Assassins who laid the foundations of the Creed in this heartfelt homage to the game that started it all.
Experience the story of Basim, a cunning street thief seeking answers and justice as he navigates the bustling streets of ninth-century Baghdad. Through a mysterious, ancient organization known as the Hidden Ones, he will become a deadly Master Assassin and change his fate in ways he never could have imagined.
- Experience a modern take on the iconic features and gameplay that have defined a franchise for 15 years.
- Parkour seamlessly through the city and stealthily take down targets with more visceral assassinations than ever before.
- Explore an incredibly dense and vibrant city whose inhabitants react to your every move, and uncover the secrets of four unique districts.
- Pre-order now to get a bonus quest, the Forty Thieves.