It's official: The PlayStation 5 will cost $499 for the standard edition, and $399 for the digital edition.
Sony today announced the PlayStation 5's price points, and the digital edition is $100 cheaper:
- PS5 standard (disc) - $499
- PS5 digital (no disc drive) - $399
This is an aggressive price point that pushes the digital edition, and Sony is prepared to weather the production losses by locking gamers to its digital ecosystem. The digital-only system forces gamers to buy titles directly from Sony, which nets a premium for them, especially first-party games that give Sony 100% of all revenues.
The PlayStation 5 is due out November 12, 2020.
Sony says pre-orders will begin as early as tomorrow:
The console will launch first in the Americas, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand. It's coming later to Europe and other regions:
Starting on November 12, PS5 will be available in seven key markets: the U.S., Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea. The global rollout will continue on November 19 with launches throughout the rest of the world*, including Europe, Middle East, South America, Asia and South Africa. PS5 Digital Edition will be available for a recommended retail price (RRP) of $399.99/¥39,980/€399.99 (MSRP), and PS5 with an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive will be available for an RRP of $499.99/¥49,980/€499.99 (MSRP).
Pre-orders will be available starting as early as tomorrow at select retailers, so please check with your local retailer.
Check below for more info on everything we know about the PlayStation 5 so far:
PlayStation 5 specs and details:
- Custom SoC with second-gen Navi GPU, Zen 2 CPU
- 8-Core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU at 3.5GHz
- Navi 2X GPU with 36 CUs on RDNA 2 at 2.23GHz
- Ultra-fast 825GB 12-channel PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD with up to 9GB/sec speeds
- Two SKUs: Digital-only, and standard with a disc drive
- Support for 4K 120 Hz TVs
- Ray-tracing enabled
- 8K output support (for gaming)
- Plays PS4 games, BC is on a title-to-title basis
- Separate games that ship on BD-XL Blu-ray discs
- New controller with extensive haptic and tactile feedback
- > NEXT STORY: Harry Potter RPG Howgarts Legacy coming to PS5 in 2021
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Final Fantasy XVI announced: Medieval style, hack-and-slash combat