A new drug has surfaced that could be used to treat people who have contracted the coronavirus COVID-19 virus. The drugs has been tested and the results so far are quite promising.
The drug is called Favipiravir or Avigan, and is currently being used in Japan to treat influenza patients, but has now been used on some coronavirus COVID-19 patients and proved effective. Trials on the drugs were conducted on 340 individuals in Wuhan and Shenzhen, according to Zhang Xinmin, China's science and technology ministry, reported by The Guardian. Zhang said, "It has a high degree of safety and is clearly effective in treatment".
The drug itself is developed by Fujifilm Toyama Chemical and is being manufactured by Zhejiang Hisun Pharmaceutical. Avigan was given to patients who had been tested positive for COVID-19 and four days later they were tested again for COVID-19 and received a negative result. While that might sound like a "cure", its not. The drug is designed to treat RNA viruses such as SARS-CoV-2 by injuring the enzyme that allows the virus to replicate. Without this key enzyme the virus cannot multiply once its infected a host cell.
Unfortunately, this seems to only be the case for patients that don't have severe cases of COVID-19. A source from the Japanese Health Ministry told the Mainichi Shimbun newspaper, "We've given Avigan to 70 to 80 people, but it doesn't seem to work that well when the virus has already multiplied." It seems this form of treatment can be used on patients that don't already have severe symptoms of COVID-19.
Important Coronavirus COVID-19 Information
Medications: It has also been found that these medications can aggravate coronavirus cases, more on that can be found here.
How long it stays on surfaces: Researchers have also discovered how long the coronavirus stays on surfaces, find out more here.
How it makes you sick: Scientists have figured out exactly how the coronavirus COVID-19 makes you sick, find out how here.
Last updated: Mar 19, 2020 at 02:37 am CDT
- Trump to roll out malaria drug to treat coronavirus COVID-19 patients
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- R.E.M.'s 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It' is back on charts
- Tech industry leaders issue joint statement over COVID-19 coronavirus
- People are killing themselves on this coronavirus COVID-19 'treatment'
- > NEXT STORY: Scientists design new coronavirus COVID-19 test that is 3 times faster
- < PREVIOUS STORY: US mobile location data to be used to track coronavirus COVID-19