The search for a coronavirus COVID-19 vaccine is probably the most-wanted thing on this planet right now, outside of toilet paper that is -- and don't worry, scientists are on top of it.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) have said that their clinical trial of investigational vaccine for COVID-19 begins, with a new study kicking off in Seattle with local, healthy adult volunteers putting their arms up for a jab. A new Phase 1 "clinical trial evaluating an investigational vaccine designed to protect against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has begun at Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute (KPWHRI) in Seattle", according to a new post on the NIH website.
The new COVID-19 vaccine trial will see 45 "healthy adult volunteers" that are aged between 18-55 years old, across the next 6 weeks, where the first "participant received the investigational vaccine today". The 6-week study will be evaluating "different doses of the experimental vaccine for safety and its ability to induce an immune response in participants".
COVID-19 Vaccine = mRNA-1273
The vaccine itself is called mRNA-1273 and was developed by scientists at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), which worked with Moderna, Inc. which is a biotechnology company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Manufacturing the COVID-19 vaccine trials is Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), at least for the Phase 1 clinical trial.
Right now, there is no approved vaccine that prevents infection with SARS-CoV-2.
NIAID Director Anthony S. Fauci, M.D explains: "Finding a safe and effective vaccine to prevent infection with SARS-CoV-2 is an urgent public health priority. This Phase 1 study, launched in record speed, is an important first step toward achieving that goal".
You can read more on the new COVID-19 vaccine trials at the official NIH website here.
- Everything important to know about Coronavirus COVID-19
- Scientists wage war against coronavirus COVID-19 with measles vaccine
- Scientists working on coronavirus COVID-19 vaccine have amazing news
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- WHO confirms 20 coronavirus COVID-19 vaccines are in development
- > NEXT STORY: Former Facebook Creative Director Mike Booth joins Resolution Games
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Taiwan rejects Huawei on 5G rollout: Chunghwa Telecom chooses Nokia