According to this article over at HKEPC, the high-end motherboard market may well be seeing a significant shift following the launch of NVIDIA's new flagship 680i chipset last week. NVIDIA are apparently now keen on producing entire motherboards through OEM and reselling them to add-in partners, much the same as the way it's always worked with graphics cards.
Since the high-end market is less demanding but challenging to manufacturing technology, the high cost of development embarrasses some manufacturers to manufacture high-end products by itself. In the display market, both NVIDIA and ATI are manufacturing high-end display by itself through OEM and then resell the product to manufacturers such that they can sell the product under its brand. As this strategy is a success, NVIDIA plans to introduce it to the motherboard market.
Last updated: Apr 6, 2020 at 09:04 pm CDT
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/3080 Ti: more VRAM, way faster and CHEAPER?!
- NVIDIA delays GTC announcement of Ampere GPU over COVID-19 coronavirus
- Tech whistleblower: YouTubers paid by NVIDIA for product placement
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti: June 2020, or earlier?!