Valve has addressed the Steam community in a brand new blog post released onto their website. Within the blogpost we learn what Valve has in store for Steam users throughout 2019.
On the blogpost, Valve address a lot about what they achieved throughout 2018 and surprisingly gives us some solid statistics as well. Those achievements will be discussed in another article, what we will be looking into in this news piece is what Valve will have in-store for us throughout 2019. Valve says that they are "working on a new recommendation engine powered by machine-learning, that can match players to games based on their individual tastes", basically Valve will be adding its own account-based AI to each user. This will allow for the user to have more personalized games recommended to them when browsing the Steam Store.
Valve also addresses the current state of the Steam Library and how that is subject to change in the future; "Some long awaited changes to the Steam Client will ship, including a reworked Steam Library, built on top of the technology we shipped in Steam Chat." So with this we can expect a UI change that will coincide with the visuals of the new Steam Chat, quite possibly some new functionality features will come with this update as well. Valve will also be issuing out their very own Steam Chat mobile app, this app is aimed at people that would like to chat to their Steam friends on the go. For more information regarding the coming Steam updates, check out the dot points in the entirety of this post.
"2019 and Beyond"
- Store Discoverability: We're working on a new recommendation engine powered by machine-learning, that can match players to games based on their individual tastes. Algorithms are only a part of our discoverability solution, however, so we're building more broadcasting and curating features and are constantly assessing the overall design of the store.
- Steam China: We've partnered with Perfect World to bring Steam onshore into China. We'll reveal more details about this in the coming months.
- Steam Library Update: Some long awaited changes to the Steam Client will ship, including a reworked Steam Library, built on top of the technology we shipped in Steam Chat.
- New Events System: We're upgrading the events system in the Steam Community, enabling you to highlight interesting activities in your games like tournaments, streams, or weekly challenges.
- Steam TV: We're working on expanding Steam TV beyond just broadcasting specific tournaments and special events, in order to support all games.
- Steam Chat: We're going to ship a new Steam Chat mobile app, so you can share your favorite GIFs with your friends while on the go.
- Steam Trust: The technology behind Trusted Matchmaking on CS:GO is getting an upgrade and will become a full Steam feature that will be available to all games. This means you'll have more information that you can use to help determine how likely a player is a cheater or not.
- Steam PC Cafe Program: We are going to officially ship a new PC Cafe Program so that players can have a good experience using Steam in hundreds of thousands of PC Cafes Worldwide.
- > NEXT STORY: Sony enables cross-play for Rocket League, available now
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Smash Ultimate beats Smash Bros. 3DS sales in just 5 weeks