The first Super Smash Bros. UItimate patch has been released by Nintendo and we have patch notes showing changes for multiple fighters, matchmaking and more.
Yesterday I reported on the patch that would be released and the only aspects that we knew were coming was the removal of the replays that were already saved to the Smash Ultimate folder (in-game) in your Nintendo Switch. I recommended everyone that wanted to keep those awesome kills you have already saved to re-save them to your Nintendo Switch storage or microSD card. Now that the patch is live, we can jump into what changes have been made.
Patch 1.2.0 is the first patch to come to Smash Bros Ultimate and will be containing changes made to Offline Gameplay aspects such as adjustments made for approaching challengers and Online Game changes made to the matchmaking system. After this update is downloaded, "the Format setting of your Preffered Rules will be more highly prioritized", essentially meaning that players will not be experiencing as much random free-for-alls or other forms of matches when they originally queued for a 1v1. Nintendo warns that this may cause players to experience longer queue times.
Nintendo also mentions that this still will not "guarantee that you'll find a match that has your exact Preffered Rules". The patch also mentions changes for: Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Greninja, PAC-MAC, Duck Hunt and Isabelle. It is unclear what changes were exactly made to these fighters, but I would assume it would be nothing major power wise for the characters, instead this would be major bug fixes for interactions with characters or objects. This is just an assumption though, we may hear more about the changes once players can figure out what has exactly been tweaked.
Here is the dot points for patch 1.2.0:
- Adjusted difficulty of approaching challengers.
- When matchmaking in Quickplay, the Format setting of your Preffered Rules will be more highly prioritized. This may cause matchmaking to take more time, and there's still no guarantee that you'll find a match that has your exact Preffered Rules.
- Increased the stability of the sychronous connection within Battle Arenas.
NOTE: Online features require a Nintendo Switch Online membership.
- Game Balance adjustments
- Various gameplay fixes
- Donkey Kong
- Ice Climbers
- Young Link
- Toon Link
- Duck Hunt
- >> NEXT STORY: Heroes of the Storm isn't dead, it's just slowing down
- << PREVIOUS STORY: NieR: Automata's 2B arrives in Soulcalibur VI on December 18