This is certainly a huge leap forward in the world of removable storage, TDK have just created a functional 200GB Blu-Ray Disc, made up of 6 layers capable of holding 33GB each. Its only in prototype stages at the moment but hopefully wont be too long down the track before they start popping up in large numbers (although no doubt with a rather hefty price tag).
TDK, a leading maker of recordable medias, said that it had finally created a prototype of its 200GB Blu-ray disc. The company does not say when it will be actually able to commercially ship the technology.
"The ultra-ambitious technology roadmap for Blu-ray has now been confirmed as realistic, with landmarks such as this proving the long-term value of the format against its rivals. TDK was the first to develop a prototype 100GB recordable Blu-ray disc, and yet again, our landmark achievement in creating a 200GB disc is affirming the company's position as a true pioneer in advancing the capabilities of optical media," said Bruce Youmans, TDK vice president of product research & development.
Last updated: Dec 4, 2019 at 01:47 pm CST
- Xbox Series X: next-gen sound via dedicated chip and ray-traced audio
- How publishers will approach current-gen on PS5, Xbox Series X
- Coronavirus may delay PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X launch past 2020
- Xbox Series X's Smart Delivery may let you custom install games
- China trade tariffs won't directly raise PS5, Xbox Series X prices